Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

John Deere 955 possible short and fuel shutoff problem

Visiting Guest

08-13-04, 05:04 PM   #1  
Rhondakp
John Deere 955 possible short and fuel shutoff problem

I started having problems with the belly mower not engaging, apparently it blew a fuse. While I was away from the tractor someone replaced a fuse and the fuse panel burned when I used it (don't know if they put a wrong fuse in). I replaced the fuse panel along with proper fuses. Then when trying to start the tractor it would immediately shut down when I let go of the key. I then replaced the fuel shutoff solenoid following the technical manual carefully. (They forget to tell you about the spring in the rubber boot that isn't included with the new solenoid) This didn't get put back in till after it ran for about half an hour. We had to turn the tractor off by pushing the lever in front of the solenoid forward. Then the battery died after it was shut down. I recharged the battery and now I have the same problem with it starting and then stopping as soon as I let go of the key. I am running out of patience it seems as if I still have a problem with the fuel shutoff solenoid according to the manual and the battery is dead again too. I would greatly appreciate any advice.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-15-04, 01:57 AM   #2  
What engine is on this machine? Yanmar 3 cylinder diesel? From your description, I would guess that the solenoid that shuts the engine off is engaging as soon as you let the key go, and holding in the shut-off position (it's only supposed to engage long enough to ensure the engine is stopped, then release if I remember right). Sounds like maybe a stuck relay or bad ignition switch maybe. The electrical system gets a little more involved on these than the average lawnmower, and without going through the proper test procedures with a volt/ohmmeter, you could wind up replacing lots of unnecessary high-dollar parts and still not solve the problem. Have you got the proper tools and literature for diagnosing this thing?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

08-19-04, 05:29 PM   #3  
Rhondakp
Thanks so much but I gave up

I couldn't stand it anymore and called the local dealership. It must be electrical since it started with the fuse. Anything electrical is out of my hands. They want to take it in so it must need special attention. Can't wait for that bill

Thanks so much for the help though. This is a great site.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-21-04, 02:02 PM   #4  
You probably made the right decision. Let us know what they find!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

UT

04-07-12, 02:06 AM   #5  
john deere fuel shut off problem

I had that same prioblem. The fuel shut off selonoid has two electrical circuits. One heavy to eneriize the solinoid and pull the fuel shut off valve to on position. When you release the key to the run position the second set of windings in the solinoid , at lower electrical drain, hold the selonoid in the run position. When I received my new solonoid I took the spring from the old solonoid....But the problem was that the spring was to strong so it overpowered the holding circuit of the solinoid and shut off the fuel valve. After several tries at "trimming the spring" I came to a balance where the spring did not overpower the holding power of the solinoid but had enough force to push the rod turning off the fuel when the key was turned off.

Search this Thread