Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda generator wont stay running

Visiting Guest

08-16-04, 07:55 AM   #1  
marksman69

this weekend my honda model ev6010 was running fine. it is installed in a motorhome. i shut off the motorhome engine and when i did so it dropped out the solenoid that provided 12v power to the generator. the generator shut off. i flipped on the battery switch and restarted the generator. turned my air conditioner back on and it was fine. i turned my second air conditioner on and the generator died. i tried to restart it and now it only stays running as long as i hold in the start button. i have checked all the obvious things. the three fuses on the generator are fine. the breaker on the generator was not tripped and it is fine. the oil level is fine. any ideas?

Sponsored Links

NY

08-16-04, 03:06 PM   #2  
While I am versed in engine service, I have no knowledge of RV generator control systems other than I know they're complicated. It does, however, seem to me that you have a lack of power and/or hard starting issue at hand. Tell me, when was the last time the generators' engine was run? You may have a carburetor issue to contend with if the engine hasn't been run in some time. Answer that question and await a reply from cheese, as he may have some insight on these systems..

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-16-04, 09:15 PM   #3  
Try unplugging the kill wire to the coil and see if it will start. You'll have to reconnect it to stop the engine, or choke it out.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

08-17-04, 05:47 AM   #4  
marksman69

the engine was running fine. it only has 60 hours on it but i use it for an hour or so every now and then. it will run as long as i keep the start button depressed. i dont know if i have any power output though (tough to test anything when you have a finger tied up holding the button).

Thanks cheese i will try the coil kill wire and report back.

Visiting Guest

08-24-04, 07:42 AM   #5  
marksman69
update

i disconnected the coil kill wire and it starts and runs. after about 2 minutes it starts to sputter and will quit. overheating??? i checked the output while it was running and i am getting no power out of the generator.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-25-04, 01:48 AM   #6  
Did it run fine before it died? And no power out...sounds like the genset has a problem, or a control system problem. Did the engine sound like it was lugging when it died? Will the engine continue to run, or try to run if you feather the choke? Still trying to tell if the engine has a carb problem or not.

You definitely have a problem in the electrical controls though, since the engine will run with the kill wire disconnected, but not with it connected (unless in the start pos). I have no idea what kind of setup you have on the motorhome's electrical system, but if you have a remote start from inside the vehicle, I would start there checking the electrical. If you don't have a manual, it could be very difficult to figure out.

Are you positive it is full of oil? It has a low oil sentry, and unplugging the kill wire would have disabled that, but if it were in fact very low, it would have sputtered to a stop, or come to a really abrupt halt, lol.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

08-25-04, 05:45 AM   #7  
marksman69
no, it was running fine before it died. i really think it happened when i accidentily disconnected the 12v power feed while it was running under load. my thinking is that it is in the voltage regulator or the field windings. i couldnt find any obvious fuses that could be blown. i checked the oil level and that was fine. i then tested the oil level switch as well at the temp high limit sw. and they were both ok.

Search this Thread