Riding Mower belt comes off

Old 08-16-04, 06:21 PM
Unhappy Riding Mower belt comes off

Hello, I have a Yard Machine by MTD riding mower. The engine is 18.5 HP and 46" cut. The main belt that drives the actual tractor, not the blades, keeps coming off. So I can't even go down the driveway without it slipping. The belt does seem cracked in spots. The pulleys look okay. It is hard to get to because it is under the seat. The mower is new brand new, I just got it from a family member that had not been using it.

What do you think is making it come off all the time?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-04, 09:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it is cracked, it needs to be replaced. Sounds like it could have a burnt spot(s) on it that could easily let it come off.

Old 08-17-04, 09:45 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Is the belt actually coming off the pulleys? or is it just seem to be slipping and not driving the mower?
If it is coming off the pulleys there are some other things you may want to check before replacing and possibly ruining a new belt.

Old 08-17-04, 01:02 PM
it actually comes off

Nope, it is popping all the way off the pullies. I was going to put a new belt on and try that. But you think I should check some other stuff first??

What should I look at?

Thanks for the help, man.

Old 08-17-04, 02:34 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
If the belt is consistently jumping off pulleys, some where some how you have an alignment problem. You said the mower was new however.....
Can you tell which pulley it is jumping off of? Idler pulley bracket..? Rear end mounting bolts and supporting brackets....?
With the shifter in neutral can you let the clutch out without the belt jumping?
Maybe even a seized idler pulley bushing....?
Just hate to see a 40$ belt and the trouble to replace and have it go in smoke too.

Old 08-18-04, 08:26 AM
not new

Hey, the mower is not new, just new to me. It has been sitting in my brother's driveway for 1 1/2 years. I got it started but he used to experience the belt problem. When I look under the seat there are three pullies. There is one small one in between the two larger ones. The belt seems to be coming off the small one, possibly. And it may be a slight bit higher than the next big one. But I can't tell why it is raised, it seems to be sitting naturally. Should I get a new pulley?

Old 08-18-04, 10:13 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Can you find the model # of your mower? It should be on a label under the seat if its still ledgible. If not what type of rearend do you have? Hydrostatic or gear?
Do you have a seperate lever for forward and reverse in front of the seat, or only a shifter on the fender with forward and reverse speeds?
It sounds like you are talking about the idler pulley, it should be on a bracket/Arm and have a spring attatched. The pulley is most likely plastic, with no tension on it try to spin it, if it doesnt turn or is hard to turn it will need replaced. Also is the spring connected? Does the arm move freely?

Old 08-19-04, 05:35 PM
model #

Hey, the model number is 14AS825H118. The middle pulley is as you described it. It moves and the spring seems to be in good condition. I will check the belt and pulleys more on Sat a.m. when I will be home.

Also, the key is missing. Know how to get a key for one of those things? Seems like they are all the same. Can you pick one up at a home depot?

Old 08-21-04, 02:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Home depot should have them, as well as most any store. Another thing to check is the transaxls pulley. The battery sits just over the pulley on many of these, and acid leaks onto it and it rusts badly enough that the sheaves come off and the belt will not stay on.

Search this Thread