B&S overheating

Old 08-17-04, 06:42 PM
KurtArndorfer
Visiting Guest
B&S overheating

I have looked all over these forums for an answer to this, but haven't found anything. I have a B&S Model #10A902 Type #2189B3 Code #99102655. I hope that is enough info. When I bought this it was in pretty sorry shape. The springs on the carb were either missing or blown out and twisted all over the place. The gas tank had more water in it than gas, and the spark plug had almost no gap whatsoever.

I started by cleaning out the tank and carb. The carb looked great, no crud build up or anything. I sprayed it with carb cleaner, bought a new spring (not realizing that there were supposed to be 2) and a new plug. I didn't replace the gasket or anything else. It starts right up, but doesn't run strong (but not real rough either) and overheats within 10 minutes and is smoking when I shut it down. I know I don't have the "governed idle spring" (part 211 in list), but would that cause the overheating? I called my local shop, and he said it sounded like a broken oil slinger. I was immediately suspect of his diagnosis, but before anyone agrees with him, allow me to tell a story. When I reassembled everything, I forgot to attach the dipstick. When I started it up, out came the dipstick, and judging by the amount of oil in my hair, I am guessing oil is flowing pretty darn well in the engine. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-04, 12:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello KurtArndorfer!

The oil slinger wouldn't blow the oil out on you like it did. Crankcase pressures did that. The overheating could be due to clogged cooling fins on the cylinder, retarded timing due to a sheared flywheel key, restricted exhaust, or a bad valve and/or seat. The cooling fins on the fan could be missing too.

Old 08-18-04, 02:26 PM
KurtArndorfer
Visiting Guest
how do I check for timing? It would seem to make sense because of how it is running. Everything is clear of debris, and I will check for exhaust blockage. I also got the idle spring today. One question, are the springs supposed to be pretty loose when the mower is not running? Since they were either missing or messed up when I got it, I have no basis of reference.

Old 08-19-04, 02:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Remove the flywheel nut and look at the flywheel key. If it is sheared, it will be visible. It sounds like it may just be partially sheared. The spring can be loose until the engine starts and the governor vane gets pressure on it.

Old 08-20-04, 04:48 PM
KurtArndorfer
Visiting Guest
That was it! Thanks a million!

Old 08-21-04, 01:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Thanks for letting us know how it went!