Bad Timing?

Old 08-19-04, 04:40 PM
zeezeemum
Visiting Guest
Cool Bad Timing?

I have a 6.0 hp Tecumseh Engine(143.986010) on a Craftsman EasyStart walk-behind mower that refuses to start. The mower is about 5 years old. The mower has worked well several times this summer. Since it stalled out last week I have replaced the blade adaptor as the crankshaft key had sheared off, changed the oil, put in fresh gas, new spark (has been tested and works well); cleaned the entire carburetor with carb cleaner; and checked to make sure all three holes on the bowl nut are clear. I have checked to make sure that fuel is getting into the combustion chamber and it appears to be doing so. After all that, when I press the bulb to prime the engine (5 times with 2 seconds in between as per the manual) and then pull back the starter cord (operator control bar is held down) the starter cord grabs and is hard to pull and the engine sounds as though it is about to turn over but doesn't. I have discovered that the starter cord pulls smoothly and evenly when the spark plug has been removed, but grabs and is hard to pull when the spark plug is engaged in the cylinder.

I am pretty well out of ideas and am hoping someone may have some ideas as to what the problem may be. Could it be a timing problem? Maybe the flywheel?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-04, 06:35 PM
zeezeemum
Since you said you replaced the blade hub, does that mean that you hit something that caused it to break? Why??? Because usually if you break the blade hub it also shears the flywheel key which in turn throws the ignition timing out causing hard or no starting. My guess would be to check the flywheel key first and if and when you change it, make sure that you torque the flywheel down to proper specs or else if it isn't , it will shear the key again.
Hope this helps.

snoman

Old 08-20-04, 09:29 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Have you checked for spark? If you have spark then the flywheel key could be a culprit. If you have no spark, it could be the cable assy for the dead man bar is stretched, also not releasing the engine brake causing it to pull hard on start.

Old 08-20-04, 03:42 PM
I'm gonna go with the sheared flywheel key, since it appears you have struck an object with the blade. Doing so is sure to have sheared this key.

Old 08-22-04, 03:12 PM
zeezeemum
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Flywheel Key it Is!

Thanks for the responses. You were right. It was indeed the flywheel key. I had it replaced and the mower now works like a charm. Your assistance was much appreciated.

Old 08-24-04, 02:44 PM
That's good news. Glad you're back up and running.