Briggs and Stratton Engine Oil Leak

Old 08-20-04, 12:42 PM
Carolina Man
Visiting Guest
Arrow Briggs and Stratton Engine Oil Leak

The B&S 18.5 HP Engine, model #42A707, Type 1238 on my garden tractor leaks oil when it is in operation. The leak appears to be beneath the engine; oil appears to drip on the belt pulley on the bottom of the drive shaft and is thrown around the tractor and ground. I suspect a bad oil seal but would appreciate an expert opinion. I have a parts list from B&S Any advice as to what the problem is and what parts I should order to fix it will be appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-04, 03:40 PM
It would certainly appear that you have a PTO seal leaking. The only thing is, these rarely go bad. Unless maybe you have gotten some debris (likely grass) wound up between the engine pulley and the sump cover. Other possibilities for leakage would be the oil drain plug or the sump gasket, based on your description. The best way to know would be to thoroughly degrease the engine and surrounding areas, run the engine (in one spot and on a clean surface) for 15-20 minutes and inspect for leaks. This should help you narrow the source of the leak. Good luck and let us know.
PS. Should the leak be at the seal, are you going to tackle the job yourself?

Old 08-21-04, 07:03 AM
Carolina Man
Visiting Guest
Arrow Briggs & Stratton Oil Leak

Thanks Puey 61 for the advice. I shall clean the engine and search for the source of the leak. If it is the oil seal, I do plan to do the work myself--UNLESS you advise that it is a job for a professional. I have at one time or another tried almost everything and have a fair record of success. Can you give me any tips to make the job easier? Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Old 08-21-04, 08:29 AM
Not a bad job at all to do unless the engine pulley is stubborn in coming off. Generally, you shouldn't even have to remove the engine to do the job. You can use a #2 flat blade screwdriver, very carefully albiet, to remove the seal but Tecumseh has a seal removal tool that's the bomb. Check with a local Tecumseh shop and order part # 670312, it retails for around 11 fish. Tecumseh also has a very trick seal installation tool, part #670310 for around 4 bucks. You will just need to supply a pipe that will slip over the crank to tap the seal into place. Good luck and by the way, the Briggs seal part number you will need is, 291675. If it appears that the leak is elsewhere, post back and we'll figure that out.

Search this Thread