Pull cord hangs after replacing self-propelled vbelt

Old 08-20-04, 06:54 PM
bchmower
Visiting Guest
Pull cord hangs after replacing self-propelled vbelt

I have a 5 year old 6.25 HP Tecumseh engine on a 10335 Lawn Boy rear wheel self-propelled mower. The mower started and ran perfectly but the self-propelled function quit working so I replaced the vbelt. The mower was on both sides for a bit of time while I replaced the belt and also cleaned out the rear wheel gears. I decided to change the engine oil while working on it and drained the engine oil from the filler tube as instructed in the owners manual and then filled it back to the "full" line on the dipstick.

Now the mower pull cord is VERY difficult to pull. The blade will turn, but is difficult to turn. I removed the spark plug and then tried pulling the pull cord........it pulls very easily. When I reinstall the plug, it becomes difficult again....to the point that the pull cord snaps out of my hand at times due to the pull cord hanging up. The problem appears to be internal....possibly engine oil drained into the wrong location? I removed the muffler and there isn't any oil present there. I removed the air filter and there isn't any oil present there. The spark plug is not fouled. I have pulled on the pull cord many times (20-25 times) with the spark plug removed as well as installed and the same condition exists. There is spark from the plug and at times the mower attempts to start but a puff of smoke comes out of the carb/air filter housing just as the cord hangs up. I removed the pull cord assembly and it works fine when not attached to the engine. I thought that maybe the self-propelled v-belt was too tight so I removed the belt, left the blade off still have the same problem. I removed the oil filler tube to make sure the oil was not overfull. The oil level is not overfull. I checked the safety cable and it is working properly.

Please tell me what I'm missing and how I can resolve this.

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-04, 10:20 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Since you do have spark, for whatever reason it sounds like your ignition timing is off. The shear key on the flywheel is your timing. Check to see if it is sheared.

Old 08-21-04, 06:24 AM
First of all I would like to commend you on a well written post related to your problem. As Azis pointed out, check the flywheel key for being sheared...it certainly seems as this is your trouble, even though you made no mention of any possible reason it should be. Because you stated the pull starter rips out of your hand as well as you get a puff/backfire out of the carburetor, this indicates an ignition timing issue due to a sheared key. You will need to remove the flywheel to inspect this satisfactorily. Simply removing the flywheel nut likely will not give you a clear enough picture of the key's condition.

Old 08-21-04, 01:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you happen to remove the blade (for replacement or sharpening, or whatever reason) when you were doing all this work? If the blade is loose, it will cause this. Aside from cutting grass, the blade is also a flyweight that helps the engine momentum going the right direction. If it is loose or missing, it will kick back HARD and yank the cord out of your hand. The flywheel key will also do the same if sheared.

Old 08-21-04, 05:42 PM
bchmower
Visiting Guest
Thank You!!

Thanks to each of you for your suggestions. After pulling the flywheel and determining the flywheel key was fine, I came back online and read the last posting from cheese and that diagnosis was right on the money. I did leave the blade off when I first replaced the vbelt and had problems with the pull rope then. After reassembling the flywheel and all, I reinstalled the vbelt and blade and WOW, it started on the first pull just like it used to.

I really appreciate all of the support and suggestions!!

Thanks!!

Last edited by bchmower; 08-21-04 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-24-04, 12:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it fixed! Thanks for letting us know the outcome!