Snapper Problems***Please help!

Old 08-22-04, 07:06 AM
bigbillS
Visiting Guest
Angry Snapper Problems***Please help!

I have a Snapper self propelled that is I think down for the count. My wife trying to be nice decided to mow the lawn. The mower stopped and she checked the oil level and decided to add some oil. Problem is she used my chainsaw 2 cycle in my regular gas mowers oil tank. On top of that, when she polled on the cord to start it, she said it doesn't pull out all the way. My thoughts are to drain the 2 cycle and replace with the correct oil. But it sounds like the engine is seized. It is an older model, so tell me am I on the way to look at new mowers today? Thanks

Old 08-23-04, 09:43 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
How did it stop? Did it run out of gas, spit sputter clank pop stop????
First check to see if the engine will turn over by hand, lift the front of the mower just enuff to reach under and turn the blade to see if it will turn.
Some more information will be needed on your mower, model# size of engine and type etc. and as much info on the problem when trying to start now 1st hand.
How low was it on oil when she added the 2 cycle oil? Did it start and run with the 2 cycle oil in it?

Old 08-23-04, 02:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Whoa, whoa, whoa!!!!!!!!!!!! Before you try to turn the blade by hand, make sure to pull the spark plug wire off the spark plug. Otherwise someone could end up losing a finger or hand. Furthermore, I strongly suspect your wife (not only used the wrong oil) overfilled the crankcase with oil. This overfilling likely seeped into the combustion chamber (top of the piston) and now won't turn over for the fact that you can't compress oil. I don't think all is lost. Remove the spark plug, move the plug wire out of the way from the plug hole, pull the rope starter over a dozen or more times. This will purge the combustion chamber of oil. Note that you may want to use carburetor cleaner to thin out the oil. Next, drain the crankcase of the 2-cycle oil and refill with SAE30W oil making sure not to overfill. Buy a new spark plug, install and you should be on your way. Good luck and let us know.

Old 08-24-04, 10:56 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Excuse me Puey I forgot to wait on GOD to reply !!

Old 08-24-04, 02:18 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Ahh! Yes. Pueytheus, the great Greek god of all things green. I'm glad someone finally noticed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: