Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cub Cadet Riding Lawnmower Battery Issue

Visiting Guest

08-23-04, 06:57 PM   #1  
Judy S
Cub Cadet Riding Lawnmower Battery Issue

I have an old (40 years) Cub Cadet riding lawnmower. I replaced the battery twice this year; both tested bad at Farm and Fleet each time. What is causing the battery to fail? Like a car, when I jump the battery, the mower starts and runs OK until I turn it off. The generator and regulator were replaced in 1998, the voltages today are around 15 volts per my testing. Today I did find a wire from the regulator with the insulation worn off and touching the chasis: I repaired this today. Should I get the generator and regulator tested? If I jump the battery, the mower runs. Does this mean the electrical system is OK? Please provide your opinion. I can't keep going thru batteries. Thanks. Judy

Sponsored Links

08-23-04, 09:05 PM   #2  
There are some things that will kill a battery early. One is overcharging. I'd say that 15 volts (assuming the reading is accurate) would be a little on the high side. The nominal reading should be about 13.8 volts across the battery terminals with the engine running. When you overcharge like that the water in the battery tends to boil away and soon the battery is dry and it will die. Making sure that the regulator is working correctly would be a first start in solving the problem. Excessive heat and vibration will also do in a battery early. The battery also should be strapped down do it can't bounce around while the machine is in motion.

NY

08-24-04, 02:37 PM   #3  
What engine make do you have (probably Kohler) as well as the ID #'s of such? This will likely be a "K" series engine. Along with the model number there will be a spec. number as well as a serial number...If it's a Kohler that is. Should you indeed have a Kohler, manual part number TP-2379 will help you greatly with regulator/rectifier specifications and troubleshooting. You should be able to find this manual at any Kohler shop.

Search this Thread