B&S smokes in a bad way

Old 08-24-04, 07:34 PM
B&S smokes in a bad way

My Murray’s with Brigs and Stratton engine slowly started smoking after 3 years. At first it was only at the startup and yesterday it started smoking all the time. I removed the air filter and restarted the engine it smokes a little less but it still smokes a lot. Don’t know what are the model and the type but is says B&S 5.0 hp OHV throttle free design on it. I changed oil regularly, did not change the spark plug though, I don’t think it matters…. What can I do to revive the thing? Any magic motor honey or something similar? Do I need to replace the rings? Or it has a known problem and I am just barking at the wrong tree?

Thanks for all your help,

BTW is the search feature of the specific forums gone? I thought it used to be available, now the only search I see - is a whole site.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-04, 10:43 PM
It would help some to know the color of the smoke. Darkish black smoke indicates piston ring problems and/or worn valve guides. A ligher bluish-black smoke indicates a carb that set too rich. That may be solved with a simple adjustment or by resetting the float level in the carb. How often to you have to add oil to maintain a full level in the sump? What does your spark plug look like after you've been running the engine for a while. The answers to these questions will help determine where to look for the solution.

Old 08-28-04, 08:21 AM
Angry thanks

sorry it's a blooper

Old 08-28-04, 08:23 AM
thanks

Thanks a lot for your reply! The smoke is more of the white bluish rather then black. I never in three years had to add oil to the sump to maintain fuel level? – don’t even know where it is…. If you meant “to maintain oil level.” ... I add very little (probably 20 - 30 cc every 50 hours of operation) of recommended oil to the oil pan. May be we are talking about a different model of the B&S engine. Mine has a flat type of the air cleaner and has no fuel filter. I just removed the spark plug and it is brownish in color and pretty wet. How do I adjust the carb’s float without messing it up? Thanks,
Oh buy the way, I lied I did change the spark plug once, just forgot about it.

Old 08-28-04, 09:10 AM
Sounds like you have one of two problems...either the float and/or inlet needle & seat isn't doing it's job and thereby allowing fuel into the crankcase (and therefore raising the "oil" level) OR you have a blown head gasket. The blown head gasket could allow oil into the combustion chamber since this is an overhead valve engine and your pushrod chamber parallels your cylinder. The head gasket seals the portion between the two areas and if this is blown out, the engine will smoke (blueish in color). If you're sure the oil level is maintaining a consistant level (not showing overfilled on the dipstick) then it likely will be the head gasket that is your trouble.

Old 08-28-04, 02:19 PM
thanks again

Thanks. You know…. You are probably right, Puey61…I just checked the oil level and it’s slightly overfilled ~ ¼ over the top level and it smells like gas a little. So it is probably a needle problem and not the head gasket, ha. Another symptom I just noticed is that front of the mower’s deck is slightly covered with either oil or gas I am not sure it seems to be both, or it could be just my imagination. Also exhaust tip looks wet and it lets I big puff of that whitish bluish smoke right at the shut down of the engine. Any tips on how to fix that needle and where to get cheap parts? Thanks again!
Oh another confession to make This time I filled the gas level in the tank up to the yang-yang because I wanted to get rid of the whole gas was left in my canister. May be that caused the leakage into the crankcase? I assume I should drain the oil (assuming it’s a gas mixture now) and the gas from the tank and refill both and try restarting it before I go with for a needle replacement and such.

Last edited by Newbie; 08-29-04 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-29-04, 11:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You'll want to fix the rpoblem BEFORE changing the oil, or the new oil will get contaminated with gas again. Running the engine with this thinned down oil in it can ruin it quickly. Remove the carburetor bowl from the bottom of the carb and remove the float. The needle will come out with the float. Replace it (less than $5.00 at any small engine shop) and wet a Q-tip with carburetor cleaner and swab out the fuel inlet hole in the carb with the q-tip. Reassemble and change the oil if it is not leaking gas anymore.

Search this Thread