Murray 11 Riding Mower won't start.

Old 08-25-04, 01:34 PM
KCKIM74
Visiting Guest
Murray 11 Riding Mower won't start.

Bought above mower about a week ago (used) and mowed last night. It's a Murray 11 with a Briggs and Stratton 12 HP engine. Went to start it up this AM to finish up and it won't even turn over. I had been mowing in the dark the last few minutes and had the lights on, noticed a few sparks (only twice for a second or two) from what seemed to be the left side around the deck. The lights dimmed a bit... but no loss of power. Continued mowing and shut off. Forgot to turn gas valve to "off" position and believe in my haste may have left lights "on" auxillary position but they did not shine after it was turned off so I don't know what the problem is. I replaced the battery, checked out the spark plug (seemed fairly new) and checked for shorts in wiring. No luck... It will not turn over at all and shows no amperers when trying to turn over. Did not cover mower last night and it may have rained. Aside from being a girl and never using a riding mower before, what should I do??? It's been 7-8 hours of sunshine on the mower and thought any moisture would have dried up by now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Signed,
Confused in KC

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-04, 10:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello KCKIM74!

Since you said you never used a riding mower before, do you know you have to press the clutch all the way down and have the blades completely disengaged for the engine to start? (safety switches).

Old 08-25-04, 10:53 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
The wires from the key switch should lead to a fuse. Probably a blade type. Check to see if it is good. If it is bad, the short causing the sparks should be found and fixed prior to replacing the fuse.

Old 08-26-04, 11:52 AM
KCKIM74
Visiting Guest
Thanks, fellas! I am aware about depressing the clutch in all the way... as I stated, I did mow the yard ONCE! LOL OK, replaced the battery, spark plug, solenoid, ignition switch and jumped the only two kill switches (general and blade, no seat). I am at a loss... had I known Murray was going to be such a piece of @*%# I may have opted for spending a few more dollars up front, rather than in parts! grrrrrr Even if it won't turn over shouldn't I at least be able to see the amps gauge move? Or is that a reflection of the motor turning over? I just don't get it... tinker with cars, never mowers. I live in a small town (about 7K) and have limited repair options and the fella I bought it from never seems to be at home. What else can/should I try?

Thanks again,
Kim

Old 08-26-04, 02:23 PM
KCKIM74
Visiting Guest
OK, had starter tested as well and runs fine (off the mower). Thinking it is a wiring issue especially since it sparked the other night. I bought a test light (cheapie--$2.99) but unsure of what to test and how? What are some of the main "point-to-point" wires/cables I should test. Battery is still hanging in there... Any advice would be greatly appreciated as my lawn grows, so do my neighbors glares! hehe

Thanks!
Kim

Old 08-26-04, 02:58 PM
First test light test will be at the wire terminal at the starter motor. It would be easiest if you have a second person to help. Ground your test light to a good metalic object on the engine. Touch the probe onto the starter motor terminal (where the cable connects). Have your assistant sit on the machine, with everything in neutral and clutch down, turn the key to the start position. The light should light up. If so, starter motor trouble. If not, we'll check for power to the solenoid. I don't know if you have a 4-wire solenoid or 3-wire so...touch your probe to the small gauge wire terminal at the base of the solenoid which goes back to your key switch. Turn the key to the start position. The light should light up. If so, touch the probe to the heavy gauge wire on the solenoid which runs to the starter motor. If not, you will have a faulty key switch or safety interlock switch. If you have power to the small terminal on the solenoid but not the large terminal, then you have a bad solenoid. To test the key switch, you will need a continuity meter. Remove the wire plug from the back of the switch. Touch the terminals labeled "S" and "B" with your meters two probes. Turn the key to the start position. You should have continuity between these two terminals. If not, the switch is bad. If so, you will have a bad safety switch. Post back if this appears to be the case.

Old 08-27-04, 02:04 PM
KCKIM74
Visiting Guest
Puey:

Thanks! I got a test light and unfortunately had to do it myself. First time for everything. Appears it was a bad wire on the fusable link. I cut and spliced it and it started right up. In fact, with all the new parts I put on it, now it runs better than when I bought it a week ago! hehe It would have to be something that cost next to nothing AFTER I spent $50 on guess-work parts. I'll know to use the test light next time...

Thanks for all the advice. I will be sure to use this forum if ever I should find myself needing mower advice and will surely recommend it. Have a great weekend all... I'd buy ya a drink if you were in KC! CHEERS!!

Thanks,
Kim

Old 08-28-04, 09:18 AM
Thanks from all of us here for the kudos and you know where to find us should you need us in the future.