Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

snapper blade not engaging?

08-27-04, 01:20 AM   #1  
snapper blade not engaging?

Howdie and thanks for havin a site like this, I have a snapper yard cruiser, mod #hzs15420kve, the zero-turnin-radius one, I love it, but it does not love me right now. First off, the idler tension bar broke out of the deck, had it welded back in, when I got it back, the belt was loose, and it kept disengaging, (the clutch or whatever it is that makes the blades turn when ya pull up the pto switch). I stood it up and checked the idler arm, where the spring is attached, it could not move, the way my buddy welded it back and tightened the bolt the arm does not move now, so I had to tighten it as to where it had tension on the belt. The spring is useless rite now, but the belt is tite. Where shouild I begin? I checked the switch under seat and it showed ok, and then I had a brain-fart and I am lost now! I forgot what lil-bit of sense I had. Let me know what other info ya'll good people need and I will try and find it fer ya'll. Thanks, Bullfrog

Sponsored Links

08-27-04, 01:42 AM   #2  
addition

I forgot ta tell ya'll, this is MAMA's toy, so when its broke Mama's not HAPPY, and when Mama's not HAPPY, NOBODY'S HAPPY! So PLEASE HELP! HE-HE, Thanks Bullfrog

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-27-04, 02:19 AM   #3  
Hello Bullfrog!

At the back of the mower, on the end of the crankshaft is where the electric clutch is. Turn it on and see if the clutch is even coming on. If not, we have an electrical problem. If so, but the blades still don't turn, we have a mechanical problem. Let us know, and we'll go from there.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

08-28-04, 04:44 PM   #4  
Howdie Cheese, Jus ta let ya know I haven't had a chance to check out my mower, yet. Should be able to get it tommorrow morn. I had a thought tho, (which is scary, huh) could welding on a snaper with the battery still connected have anything to do with this problem? Before he took it and welded it, I never had any problems out of this mower(knock on wood), jus thankin. Will let ya know in the morn what I find out. Thanks again, Bullfrog

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-29-04, 11:49 PM   #5  
Welding on anything with electrical components can cause problems. Depending on the location of the ground clamp during the welding, it can arc across spots and gald or ruin parts. It may not be the problem in this case, but it's a possibility.

God bless!

09-09-04, 04:12 AM   #6  
Mama Is Happy!!!

Howdie, To start with, I want to Thank Ya'll for having such a GOOD and HELPFULL site! I finally was able to sneak out to the barn between rain squals, and here is what I found out- 1st my solenoid switch is bad-2nd the reason for the blade not engaging was a bad seat kill switch. Lawn mower is once again ALIVE and doin good, but most of all- MAMA is HAPPY!! Thanks Bullfrog

P.S.- now comes time for my tractor, have already rebuilt the distributor, the vacuum advance looked so bad, corroded with a white hard scale, almost like hard water stains look like. Will put distributor back in today and go from there. Thanks again, Bullfrog

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-10-04, 12:09 AM   #7  
Glad you got it fixed!

God bless!

Search this Thread