Advice on Walk-Behind Mowers

Old 08-31-04, 01:49 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advice on Walk-Behind Mowers

hi,
Looking to buy a new self-propelled mower. My local home centers carry Troy-Bilt, Toro, Cub Cadet and Honda. I know it may be a matter of opinion, but does anyone have any advice as far as one make being better than the other??
The Toros and Troy-Bilts all have this "Pace Control" set-up that adjusts the mowers travel speed to your walking speed, are these any good?
I'm leaning towards the Cub right now, any advice?
thanks

Old 08-31-04, 02:54 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
While the Honda is certainly a good machine, you may have difficulty finding a parts & service center unless you live in a metropolitan area. Don't count on the home centers to help you when it comes to parts & service. The Cub and Troy are built by the same manufacturer - MTD. So-so in quality. These are what I call box store brands. The Toro is a good quality machine and the one I'd buy, if I were doing the buying. Bear in mind that the Toro you buy at your home center is not the same as the one you'd buy from a dealer - they're built to sell in the box stores, with the main differences being steel frame compared to magnesium at a dealer and "cheaper" wheel adjusters. The key is, the drive train is the same in both and is uncomplicated and works well. That's my opinion on the matter, but by all means wait for some others to post in on this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: