Craftsman Riding Mower Starts / Won't Engage Tranny

Old 08-25-04, 08:57 PM
fireblade600
Visiting Guest
Craftsman Riding Mower Starts / Won't Engage Tranny

I got a 2001 Craftstman LTX 1000 Gold Anniversary Edition (27000 series) riding mower. I've been using it every other weekend without a problem until now. I went to start it and the battery was dead.. no problem.. i put a new battery in it and it started fine BUT it won't engage the tranny (automatic). When i leave out the clutch or engage either forward or reverse.. it simply lets out a 'grunt' sound but won't engage / mower won't move in either direction. I pulled the 'pin' out in the rear of the mower so i could push it but it still won't budge even with the 'pin' out. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance for your help. Joe

Old 08-25-04, 10:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello fireblade600!

I believe your brake is stuck. Look on the side of the tranny. There is a long rod that goes from up at the clutch/brake pedal back to the tranny. It goes through a hole in a bracket on the side of the tranny. Push that bracket toward the front of the mower and it should unstick. Spray some lube on the area and you should be set to go if this is the case. If not, let us know.

Old 08-29-04, 02:17 PM
fireblade600
Visiting Guest
Cheese Shoots and Scores!!! Now that was an impressive diagnose and right on the money. I figured it was something really simple but I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. I did exactly what you said and it worked. I actually think it was 'hung up' on the cotter pin. I just pulled it forward gently, it 'let go' and i was cutting me grass in seconds. THANKS ALOT FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!

Old 08-29-04, 11:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Great! Glad I could help, and thanks for letting us know how it went!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: