Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Adjusting deck belts?

ME

08-30-04, 05:41 PM   #1  
Adjusting deck belts?

Hello all. Recently I was given a Craftsman Lawn Tractor Model #917.255574. It has a 38" deck on it. Well needless to say it needed a fair amount of work. Some of which was a salvation project on the mowing deck, which included quite a bit of welding. Consequently this caused the deck to pull out of shape, so I had to grind some off of the mounting bosses of the mandrels to get them to line up again. In doing so I'm afraid I may have changed the actual placement of the pulleys, because when I put the new belt on it seemed too long. It worked o.k. initially, but, now that it has worn some it slips like crazy. As far as I can see there isn't any adjustment for the deck belt. It apparently relies on the spring that is incorperated in to the engagement handle to hold the needed tension. Am I correct in the assumption? Personally I feel as though Sears has sold me the wrong belt. I'm trying to find that out through them, but, they want to send a tech. out the tune of $96 to have a look at it. No thanks. I'll just measure the belt and get a shorter one first. Another thing thats odd is the part number is #131290 and the number on the belt is #131280? Does that seem right to you guys?
Thanks in advance for any help that you can give.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-31-04, 12:55 AM   #2  
Hello toni!

You can go to www.sears.com and look up a diagram and part# list for sears equipment. You should be able to get the correct belt# there. I'm sure the pulley alignment has changed a fair amount through the ordeal. You could try picking up a belt an inch shorter, as you suggested.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

08-31-04, 09:24 AM   #3  
Azis
The sears site http://www3.sears.com/ shows 131290 as the correct part, if your belt has a different # I would say you were sold the wrong belt.

ME

08-31-04, 12:54 PM   #4  
Well according to Sears it is the correct belt, but, still the numbers don't add up......... I tried to find a drive belt cross reference on the internet, but couldn't come up with anything viable. The entire number on the belt is #131280 HBD 064, which I think may indicate a 64" belt??........... At least I can take it off and use a tape measure to get an actual length and get one an inch or two shorter, that should do it.

NY

08-31-04, 03:15 PM   #5  
First of all, there is no such Sears belt part number as 131280, so it may be a poor print that you're looking at on the belt, when actually it is a 131290. The numbers following the part number have nothing to do with the length. My records indicate the belt is 88.12" long. If you feel that you'd like to try a shorter belt, the inch or two inches you mentioned will likely be much too short if you go with the 2 shorter and then wouldn't disengage. I'd go with an "A" series belt at 87" long, in other words an A85. Let us know how it goes.

ME

08-31-04, 05:09 PM   #6  
Yes, I measured the belt with a tape and it came out to around 87" plus. So your figure sounds right. And i agree that the 8 on the number could be a 9 as I did run it some before it started slipping alot. When I originally put the belt on it did seem kind of long, but, I went with it anyway..... I don't know about going with an "A" width belt. I feel that a "B" width in a 86 or 87" length would suffice. Probably the 87" would be best. I'll take it to work tomorrow and check with our belt gauge and see what it says as well...... One thing I found odd was that the belt that is on a 42" deck that I'm working on also is the same length as the 38" deck that I posted on originally. I would think that it would be longer??
So would you agree that there is no adjustment on these things? The only way that the slack is taken up is by the spring which is incorporated into the engagement handle as far as I can tell. Your thoughts?

ME

09-01-04, 05:28 PM   #7  
O.k., I went to the local NAPA store and picked up an A86 belt. It was a green belt that is supposed to be for lawn and garden applications I guess.The length seemed a little tight at first, but as I ran it, it seemed to loosen up and now it is working great. I think this one is behind me now..... I'm back working on the tractor with the 42" deck that I paid $100 for and hopefully I'll get it back to where the other one is now after a little refurbishing. Who knows I may be back with a question on that before I'm done.

Search this Thread