11 Briggs n Stratton gov spring question

Old 08-31-04, 11:40 AM
CcRider50
Visiting Guest
Question 11 Briggs n Stratton gov spring question

Hi
I've got an old snapper rider with an 11 HP briggs & stratton IC comercial engine on it. was working fine till suddenly it lost most of its power while cutting. will start & run ok but as soon as you put the blades in & hit the grass it boggs way down. I've found that one of the two linkage rods that run from the speed control assemble to the carburator is threaded through a hair fine spring that is no longer connected at either end. cant figure out just where this spring connects to & hoped maybe someone might have a manual & could look it up or ever have a simular mower & could take a look see as to where the spring hooks to.
thanks
CcRider50

Last edited by CcRider50; 08-31-04 at 11:42 AM. Reason: miss spelled word
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-04, 01:12 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
If you can find your model and type #'s on the engine here are some links to sites to check for parts breakdown and owners manuals. Some times they are reference enough to figure it out.

Briggs site will need model and type #'shttp://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?DocID=64103

snapper (click on "Puplications" in the upper right corner)
http://www.snapper.com/#

Old 08-31-04, 03:02 PM
If the spring you're referring to is indeed the one that is over the link, then it is merely an anti-flutter spring. It keeps the link tight to the points at which they connect. You likely will not see any difference with or without this spring. If the ends of the spring are both intact, and not knowing what exact model engine you have, you can attach the ends to the same holes that the link goes into. Seems to me you have trouble elsewhere. Have you recently done a DIY adjustment of the governor and/or linkages? How is the condition of the actual governor spring (it's difficult to see as it's behind the speed control bracket and is only about one inch long)? Do the engine RPM's seem to be OK when the mower is not engaged - in other words, under no-load? Answer these and we'll go on if needed.

Old 08-31-04, 04:47 PM
CcRider50
Visiting Guest
from CcRider50

Do the engine RPM's seem to be OK when the mower is not engaged - in other words, under no-load? Answer these and we'll go on if needed.

Yep that pretty much sums it up, didn't change or adjust anything was just cutting my grass & all of a sudden the rpms drop way down like I was cutting really heavy grass, I've took it apart , cleaned it up, cleaned the air filter etc. fires up fine sounds good then you put the blades in & the rpms drop down, they slowly build back up if you just set there with it but as soon as you start cutting grass it just boggs down till it finally dies. its an 11 HP briggs & stratton IC comercial engine modle 253707 on an old snapper rider
thanks for any tips
CcRider

Old 08-31-04, 04:55 PM
CcRider50
Visiting Guest
CcRider50

oh yea & the 1" governer spring seems to be fine , its connected to the linkage rod & when I operate it manually the spring pulls it back
Cc

Old 09-01-04, 12:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like either the throttle linkage came off, or the governor came apart internally.