Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

B&S 5 HP HS Carb Problem

Visiting Guest

09-01-04, 04:39 PM   #1  
kelliew41
B&S 5 HP HS Carb Problem

I have this lawn mower motor running good, however it won't start without a shot of carb cleaner.

I cleaned the carb with cleaner and let it dry over night.
I have replaced the gasket between the tank and the carb.
Replaced the gasket between the motor and the carb.
Replaced the diaphram and spring.

What else can I do?

Thanks,
Kellie

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-01-04, 06:59 PM   #2  
What is the model# of the engine? Is the choke closing completely?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

09-01-04, 07:55 PM   #3  
kelliew41
B&S Model # 130232

The choke doesn't look like it is closing completely. There is a little gap on one side, but I can't figure out how to adjust it to keep it closed. I did have someone hold it closed while I pulled on the rope and it still didn't start, but that was before I replaced the diaphram.

Thanks,
Kellie

Last edited by kelliew41; 09-02-04 at 02:55 AM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-02-04, 09:02 PM   #4  
If the choke is lever activated, you might be able to bend the lever enough to adjust it to the closed position. Can you start it by choking it with the palm of your hand? You could even have a valve clearance problem, but let's get the carb out of the way first.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

09-03-04, 05:25 AM   #5  
kelliew41
OK, I got the choke to close all the way, it was just sticking at one of the levers.
I can't start it by choking it with the palm of my hand. The only way I can get it started is with the carb cleaner. The resevoir is filling up with gas, because when I pulled the carb off the tank to clean it I saw it full, almost overflowing. So the long pickup tube is getting gas into the resevoir but how do I know if the short tube is pulling gas into the carb?

I never smell gas when choking the carb, and usually when a carb is choked for a long time eventually you start smelling gas. Right?

Ok, After I thought about it, I hadn't tried using my palm to choke it since I put in the new diaphram. I tried it and it started, but didn't stay running. This only worked once. Couldn't get it to start again.

I did replace the valves and reattatch the piston linkage to the crankshaft.

What do you mean by valve clearance?

Thanks,
Kellie

Last edited by kelliew41; 09-03-04 at 09:32 AM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-05-04, 12:12 AM   #6  
The valve clearance is the space between the valve stem and the tappet. If it is too tight, the engine won't develop enough vacuum, especially when cold, to pull fuel into the carb with the choke closed.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

09-06-04, 06:54 PM   #7  
kelliew41
I checked the valve clearance and it is about .010 on the intake and exhaust.
Does this measurement have to be exact?
What should the measurements be?

Thanks,
Kellie

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-08-04, 12:26 AM   #8  
It should run like that. I think the carb is where we need to focus. Did you clean it in a good bath type cleaner?

God bless!

Visiting Guest

09-08-04, 03:06 AM   #9  
kelliew41
I cleaned the carb with a carb spray and let it set over night. The next day I wiped it down and sprayed the intake tubes out. The screens on the tubes looked dirty and the short tube had a metal ridge in the top.
Is there supposed to be something sitting in the top of this short tube?

Thanks,
Kellie

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-08-04, 11:22 PM   #10  
Those carbs can be really pesky, and once in a while I get one in that just won't work no matter how much cleaning I do. The spray won't do the trick though. You need a bath type cleaner to clean this carb out. Most auto parts stores carry it.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

09-09-04, 02:25 PM   #11  
kelliew41
OK, this may sound stupid but, do I disconnect everything from the carb or can I just put the whole thing in the wash?

Thanks,
Kellie

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-10-04, 12:06 AM   #12  
Yep, disconnect it from the engine, tank, remove air filter housing and any plastic or rubber parts. Also remove the air/fuel adjustment screw and fuel pump cover.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

09-12-04, 06:30 PM   #13  
kelliew41
I soaked the carb and checked all the intake and output with the spray everything looks to be clear. I put the carb back together and put it on the engine. After about ten pulls on the rope it didn't start, then I tried starting it by choking the carb with my hand and nothing. I sprayed a little carb cleaner in it and it started with one pull and it runs fine.
What now?

Kellie

PS: I sure do appreciate the time you put into this newsgroup.

Visiting Guest

09-12-04, 09:13 PM   #14  
sceptre
see if there is a brass screw on the side of the carb opposite of the diaphram.
if there is it may be a fixed jet, clean both intersecting orfices. or it could be
a mixture screw, tighten and back off 1 1/2 turns. see if this helps.

Visiting Guest

09-13-04, 03:30 PM   #15  
kelliew41
I tried this with the air filter off and it didn't work.
Then I decided to try it with the air filter on and it started.
It was late when I finally got the mower completely reassembled so I still need to try it again cold and try all speeds, but I am very hopeful that this project is done. Thanks for everything.

Kellie

Last edited by kelliew41; 09-13-04 at 07:52 PM.

Search this Thread