Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Poulan generator no output

Visiting Guest

09-05-04, 10:33 AM   #1  
fcapt10
Poulan generator no output

Hi Im new to this forum and I have a poulan 3000 watt alternator/generator. It has been sitting for several years and I finally got it running again and now I dont get any output. I read in a past post that the field may need to be flashed to give it the magnetic field that it needs. I have'nt been able to find a wiring diagram and dont know how to flash the field. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, jim
It is a poulan 3000 w Alternator Model BPA3000 Ser# 00627494

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-08-04, 12:30 AM   #2  
Hello fcapt10!

Sorry, but I am not familiar with the procedure. You might check with a local electric motor repair shop. They should be able to help.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

09-08-04, 07:19 AM   #3  
If it has been setting for several years, is the drive between the motor and the generator still connected? I'm not familiar with this unit, but am guessing if belt driven, maybe the belt is slipping, or the generator has a siezed bearing preventing it from turning. Try a carefull examination all over and let us know what you find.

09-09-04, 05:48 AM   #4  
Look for two leads coming out of the generator labled F1 and F2. They will be your field leads. Most likely they will go to the voltage regulator. It may not be possible to get to those leads on your small generator easily. I don't usually work on anything smaller than 100 KW so I'm unfamiliar with your particular unit. All I can say is that I see your problem from time to time and in almost all cases if the engine is spinning the generator and the generator suddenly doesn't come up to voltage you must flash the field. I've personally done so on 500 KW Cat generators with a small 6 volt lantern battery. On your small generator I'd think you could get by with a single D cell.

Search this Thread