Lawn Boy (old) Model 5239

Old 09-06-04, 01:26 PM
DLK
Visiting Guest
Lawn Boy (old) Model 5239

I have a pre-1980 Lawn Boy (spare mower) Model 5239. It will start but not run. I drained the fuel tank, dried it out, put in new spark plug, cleaned the air filter, and fins. It will start with starting fluid after 1st pull, but then stalls.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-04, 10:01 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
You need to ensure first that u are getting fuel to the carb. Pull the fuel line off at the carb and see if you have flow. If you have fuel flow to the carb, then you most likely have a restriction in your carb.
Here is a breakdown of your carb, https://lookup2.toro.com/partdex/ind...Caller=lawnboy
If you have flow to the carb, you will need to remove the float bowl and look for debris or blockage clean and perhaps bathe in carb cleaner.
I am not familiar with your paticular carb but looks as tho if you remove the bowl, what they call the "nozzle" may unscrew. If so or even if not, clean this with cleaner and or air.

Old 09-07-04, 01:41 PM
dlk
With a Lawnboy that age, the problems can be numerous. Like Azis said..check the carb first and if that is ok then the hunt begins. If the seals start to leak, then you suck air causing a lean mixture and no starting. Same goes for the gaskets and/or reed valve. There is also a possibility that the bushing at the magneto end for the crank could be worn causing the crank to have play (thus sucking in air).
According to Lawnboy, another important thing to check out is the exhaust port. They normally plug up with carbon. You get at this port by removing the blade and the drum like cover right above the blade. Once that's removed you will be able to see the exhaust ports and you can tell right away if they are plugged.
One other thing that may play a factor is the ignition, if on that unit you have electronic ignition, it may be starting to go. I just finished building a mid 70,s to early 80's Lawnboy and the ignition module was giving me trouble so I replaced it. It had spark but I guess not enough to get it to run.
My opinion on these mowers is if it is a good unit for you and if the simple stuff on the carb doesn't get you up and running, rebuild the whole thing.
Reed valve, rings, seals and gaskets. This way you know what has gone into the motor...all new parts.
Hope this helps.

snoman

Old 09-07-04, 02:57 PM
snoman makes valid points but go with what Azis recommends first. Based on my knowledge and with what you have described, I'd pull the carb and use spray cleaner then blow out with compressed air. These carburetors are plastic and I don't recommend soaking in a bath type cleaner as this will likely ruin the carb. What I would do is replace the inlet needle, bowl gasket and carb mounting gasket after you have blown it out. Let us know how you make out!

Old 09-07-04, 05:39 PM
DLK
Visiting Guest
Smile Will give it a try this weekend

Thanks all - will dive into it this weekend and let you know.

The mower was given to my son by my wife's uncle years ago and he has since passed away. It has sentimental value.

I must be nuts for trying this.

DLK

Old 09-07-04, 06:48 PM
dlk
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

snoman