12 hp briggs wont crank

Old 09-07-04, 02:49 PM
dave85
Visiting Guest
12 hp briggs wont crank

Hey guys, i just bought a used mtd riding mower with a 12 hp briggs, i used it the other day and in the middle of cutting i took a break,well when i came back to the mower it wouldnt turn over? All i get when i turn the key is a clicking sound coming from the solenoid. im thinking its the solenoid but im not sure any help would be appreciated thanks dave

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-04, 03:03 PM
Usually, a clicking soud at the 'noid indicates it's good. You have a continuity and/or amperage problem with the battery. First, be sure ALL the battery cables are clean and free of any corrosion. There are six total. If so and it still only clicks then take your battery to a battery shop or small engine shop or an automotive store and have a load test performed...my guess is that the battery is weak. Let us know if you have a new or newer battery as you may have a charging problem with the machine.

Old 09-07-04, 04:02 PM
dave85
Visiting Guest
thank you i will go try it and ill let you know how it goes thanks

Old 09-07-04, 06:28 PM
BSTheyAre
Visiting Guest
I had the same problem with my lawn tractor. I could here the solenoid click but the engine wouldn't turn over. I jumped stright from the + Batt post to the starter and it turned over. I replaced the solenoid with one from Checker auto (For a ford I believe) and it turns over just fine now.

Old 09-08-04, 04:09 PM
dave85
Visiting Guest
bs do you have to try and crank it when your jumpin it over like that or not? i just tried that and got nothing

Old 09-08-04, 04:42 PM
BSTheyAre
Visiting Guest
If you got nothing doing that, I would say your battery is dead. The starter should already be grounded, so by jumping a (large diam.) wire from the + Batt post to the starter, it should turn over. It shouldn't start but it should turn over. (In order to start, all the safety switches would have to be tripped) You would not need to turn the key while trying this.

Old 09-08-04, 07:38 PM
dave85
Visiting Guest
well i got a new battery and tried what you said and got nothing? My dad is telling me its the solenoid, i just dont want to go buy a new starter unless i know thats the problem ya know.

Old 09-08-04, 11:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Dave!

Can you turn the engine by hand? If not, the starter gear may be jammed into the flywheel ring gear. A new starter drive gear usually is all that is needed to fix the problem. Less than $5.00.

Old 09-09-04, 12:19 AM
Nascar24Fan
Visiting Guest
hi Dave,
I have had this same problem with my older model (91) MTD lawn tractor w/ a 12 hp B&S... What I have to do to get it started is this...
Place in neutral, brake on & deck/blades all the way up... after deck/blades lever is in up position, I then have to pull the deck/blades handle towards me while sitting on the seat, then I turn the key & it will start. Sometimes I have to pull the handle towards me & move it a little bit to the right & then start it.

Hi Cheese... I saw a small kind of a rectangle box, w/ what looks like a button on the end of it, which the deck lever comes in contact with... I would like to know what that is called, & is it an expensive part?
I saw it there a long time ago (7-8 years) when this trouble first started happening. Can the box/switch? be adjusted to where the button is pushed in all the way to make it start w/out playing with the lever?
Thanks

Old 09-09-04, 05:39 AM
My neighbors lawn tractor does the same thing to me. You have to pull the deck level all the way back as far as you can get it before the engine will crank. The problem is with the drive belt. It has a tendency to stay engaged on the motor pulley. When you try to crank the engine you are also cranking the blade over. Since the starter motor is a little marginal it won't start until you pull the lever all the way back. Doing so forces the belt away from the motor pulley far enough so that when you attempt a start only the motor is being cranked. If you can't live with the problem adjust the mower deck and/or check the drive belt situation. I suppose you also could have an interlock problem depending on the model mower you have.

Old 09-09-04, 09:28 AM
dave85
Visiting Guest
Hey i tried pulling back the blade control handle but that didnt work, thanks though. Cheese, no i am not able to turn the motor by hand, maybe thats all it is and the starter is just stuck, well is this easy to fix for someone who doesnt know much about motors like this, im gonna go buy that piece and give it a try

Old 09-09-04, 02:58 PM
To save you buying unnecessary parts, first remove the guard that covers the starter Bendix (two small screws). Determine if the gear is in fact stuck into the flywheel ring gear and then determine if the gear is stripped. Only then will you need to replace it. One step at a time!!! Let us know.

Old 09-24-04, 12:36 PM
dave85
Visiting Guest
thanks guys, puey that was the problem it was just stuck, i fixed it and runs now thx

Old 09-24-04, 02:59 PM
Our pleasure, glad we could be here for you. You know where to find us should you need us again.