Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Husky RSW580 drive noise

09-07-04, 05:37 PM   #1  
Husky RSW580 drive noise

Hello. My approx. 2 yr old Husqvaqrna RSW580 self propelled rear drive mower makes an annoying "chunking" noise when I engage the slef propel mechanism and going with even the slightest resistance (like up a very minor incline or I hold it back some). When NOT engaged, no noise. Also when going down hill or pushing it, no noise. AND sometimes when I turn to make another pass, and re-engage to drive, I have to PUSH the mower for it to engage. Anyone have this problem? Is there a belt adjustment that will take care of this? I drive me nuts and I paid a good deal of money for a walk-behind. In case anyone asks, it is identical to the Ariens unit (but painted a bit different color and instead of a 6.5 Briggs it has a 6.25 Briggs and was $100 less). Help please. Peace: e3

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-08-04, 12:08 AM   #2  
Hello Spamman!

I believe you may have a bad gear in the transmission, or the transmission is not engaging fully. Check to be sure the cable is fully engaging the transmission. It could also be the drive inside the wheel slipping.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

09-08-04, 09:13 AM   #3  
Looks like I have my work cut out for me. I was hoping for an easy adjustment. Does anyone have the adjustment procedure and pictures to guide me along the adjustment? It has basically done the noise since I got it. I lived with it for 3 months, brought it back to the store, they said a stick was stuck in the drive making the noise and wanted to charge me. I said hell no. Now it still does it and it is past its warranty. Thanks for all help. peace: e3

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-08-04, 11:19 PM   #4  
Have you pulled the wheels off to check the drive gears inside? Could just be something in there. I don't think there are any adjustment procedures per-se.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread