Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh H60 engine won't start

Visiting Guest

09-08-04, 04:18 PM   #1  
dkaasf

I replaced the flywheel key and cleaned the carburator. The engine has good spark and has good compression. The engine ran before changing the flywheel key. All I get is a few spurts and a backfire through the carburator. I notice the plate that holds the points and condenser is attached with bolts in slots where the plate can be moved. I didn't know if this would effect timing. This engine is old and I haven't seen any postings that could answer. It seems be be a timing issue!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-08-04, 11:16 PM   #2  
I wouldn't move the piece with the slotted holes. It should be right where it was the last time it was running, so nothing changed there. Setting it is an involved procedure requiring a dial indicator. You said it ran before changing the flywheel key. Was the key sheared? Why was it replaced? Did you tighten the flywheel nut to the proper torque setting? The flywheel nut has to be quite tight, or the key will shear before you ever start it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

09-09-04, 05:43 AM   #3  
Also don't grease or oil the crankshaft flywheel joint. You need a dry fit or you will shear the key about every other time you try to start the engine. Been there, done that. It sounds strange but you need the extra friction to keep those soft pins from shearing when the engine backfires.

Visiting Guest

09-09-04, 02:42 PM   #4  
dkaasf

The flywheel key was changed after my father-in-law set the points and my 13 year old son didn't tighten the flywheel nut properly. The key was bent and the key was changed and now the timing seems to be and issue. I guess I will pull the flywheel and check and see if the key is bent. I will work on it on Saturday and repost my results. Thanks for your advice and any further information you have.

NY

09-09-04, 02:53 PM   #5  
With the popping you have, It's time to replace the points & condensor. Set the points at .020". Flywheel torque will be 50 foot pounds. And just so you have terminology correct...the flywheel key will shear, not bend.

Search this Thread