Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

B&S recoil starter not disengaging

Visiting Guest

09-09-04, 09:47 AM   #1  
cullen
B&S recoil starter not disengaging

I picked up an old lawn edger with 2.5 HP brigs motor. When I got it the starter cord was unwound and hanging. I rewound the spring and cord it started right up but was squealing like crazy.. I found if I removed the recoil housing after starting it no squealing...

It seems on the fly wheel (?) there are 4 ball bearings and 4 moving "fingers" that engage and disengage the recoil starter. Looks like it's staying engaged causing the recoil starter to continue to spin making a horrible noise...

Not sure how to fix this...

Thanks

Sponsored Links

NY

09-09-04, 02:49 PM   #2  
The ball bearings you mentioned are a part of the starter clutch. It is this that is causing the squeeling as you will have debris build-up here. You will need to remove the clutch, polish the crankshaft with emery paper, clean out the ID of the piece that slips over the crank and lubricate the balls with a spray lube (such as WD40). The trick is that you should use a proper wrench to remove the clutch and when reassembled it must be torqued to 55 foot pounds as it doubles as the flywheel nut. A Briggs shop can sell you the special wrench - part #19244. Be aware that you will need to hold the flywheel from turning when removing and reinstalling the clutch. If you should use a means other than a proper Briggs tool to hold the flywheel you may break off one or more flywheel fins.

Visiting Guest

09-10-04, 07:11 AM   #3  
cullen
thank you very much, i will try it!

Search this Thread