Yard Machine 42" 20 hp rider won't move

Old 09-11-04, 06:33 PM
mbhudd
Visiting Guest
Angry Yard Machine 42" 20 hp rider won't move

I have a 6 month old 42" 20 hp Yard Machine Riding Lawn Mower with a Tuecumseth engine. I went to use it today and it started just fine. The problem is it won't go into gear or go into nuetral so that it can be moved. What is wrong or has happened? Do I have to get the authorized service involved or is it something I can do myself and not screw up my warranty?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-04, 10:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello mbhudd!

It is a hydro or standard tranny? Does the shifter move? Or is the shifter what is stuck?

Old 09-12-04, 10:24 AM
mbhudd
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

The shift knob will go to reverse and forward but will not actually move the mower. I have tried the procedure recommended on the mower; i.e. restart engine, put in highest speed and then move to lowest and then desired speed, but the mower still won't move. And yes the clutch is depressed all the way. I had problems ( engine slowed down and almost stalled) when I first bought it, but the representative from Tecumseth and the authorized service people said they found nothing wrong and attributed the problem to the safety feature under the seat that kills the motor if there isn't weight on the seat.

Last edited by mbhudd; 09-12-04 at 10:46 AM. Reason: better detail
Old 09-12-04, 10:27 AM
mbhudd
Visiting Guest
Oh , and because it won't go into gear and even though it is in nuetral, it won't freely roll forward or backward. Is it that the clutch/brake is stuck?

Old 09-12-04, 11:18 AM
mbhudd
Visiting Guest
it is standard tranny.
42" 20 hp tecumseh twin-cylinder engine 6 speed shift on the go steel front axle lawn tractor (Enduro VT TVT 691).

Old 09-13-04, 12:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Either the brake is stuck, or the tranny is bad. You aren't trying to push it with the clutch pedal locked down, are you? Silly question, but I had to ask.

Old 09-13-04, 05:58 AM
mbhudd
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thank you for your response. The authorized service person on the phone seems to think the brakes are frozen; this without looking at the mower. SO if he says it isn't the brakes he should tell us it is the tranny and replace it with a new one free of charge since it is 6 mos old and has a two (2) year warranty, right. No, I am not depressing the clutch/brake in attempting to move it when it is in nuetral and out of park. I'll let you know what the verdict is and what is done.

God bless you.

Old 09-14-04, 12:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would agree. Stuck brakes would be the first place I'd look.

Old 09-16-04, 03:48 PM
mbhudd
Visiting Guest
Smile

After going to the expense of buying a trailer and tag to get the mower to authorized service the problem was: "Brakes too tight" The serviceman then took a wrench and loosened a bolt on the thread rod that went through the transmission. "That should fix it." no charge.
God Bless

Old 09-17-04, 01:30 PM
Thumbs up

great man except for having to buy a trailer and a tag but at least you have one incase you ever have to mow someone elses yard or take your mower somewhere.

Old 09-17-04, 10:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Thank you for letting us know the outcome! Not to worry about the trailer though...you'll find 100's of uses for it. The downside...everyone will want you to help them move! lol.