Hard to pull crankrope on my WeedEater XT260

Old 09-16-04, 05:44 AM
Hard to pull crankrope on my WeedEater XT260

Despite its shortcomings as a low-end unit I went ahead and bought this XT260 for trimming around my yard. I've had it for about 6 months now and it runs really well.

However, over the past couple of weeks I've noticed that it is considerably harder to get it started.

I follow the directions to a "T" everytime I start it up....put it to full choke, prime it, pull the crank a couple of times, put it to half choke, start it, let it idle for 30-60 seconds and then put it to run.

I'm noticing that when I first put it in full choke it's almost impossible to get a full "pull" on the rope and it jerks back on me. I do a couple of smaller pulls (it seems to loosen up then) and then I can do a full pull.

Can anyone tell me how to remedy this situation?

Thanks!

Dijonac

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-04, 05:27 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
How many times are you priming...? If 3 or more try with none or 1 see if you get the same result and it starting without fuss.

Also after it has sat for a bit (cold), pull the plug and see if the cylinder is wet or smells of gas.

Old 09-17-04, 04:27 AM
Originally Posted by Azis
How many times are you priming...? If 3 or more try with none or 1 see if you get the same result and it starting without fuss.

Also after it has sat for a bit (cold), pull the plug and see if the cylinder is wet or smells of gas.
Hi Aziz,

User manual says "slowly press the primer bulb 6 times". I'll take a shot without priming it (or 1 pump) and I'll see how it works...thanks!

Old 09-18-04, 01:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ive seen the bushing at the bottom of the boom sieze up several times on those units. They get harder and harder to turn, causing your symtoms. Not sure if this is the case in your situation, but worth a look. If so, run some gear oil down the inside of the boom to help lube it.