Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Flywheel keeps spinning on JD LT155

Visiting Guest

09-17-04, 09:48 AM   #1  
JRMil
Flywheel keeps spinning on JD LT155

I have a John Deere LT155 riding lawn mower. The flywheel keeps spinning after the engine has started. If you start the engine and then kill it, the flywheel will keep spinning although the engine doesn't try to turn. Sometimes it stops after 10-20 seconds. Other times, I have to disconnect the battery.

It doesn't do this all the time but it's getting to the point where it happens over half the time.

How do I resolve this problem?

Sponsored Links

PA

09-17-04, 12:08 PM   #2  
The flywheel continues to spin all while you are grabbing a wrench and disconnecting the battery cable? And once the cable is off, it stops? You definitely have my curiosity going. I've never heard of this before. Does the tractor start normally and cut grass and do everything else normal until you shut it off?

Visiting Guest

09-17-04, 12:11 PM   #3  
JRMil
Reply To Joe

Joe,

Once the mower starts, it seems to operate fine. However, sometimes if I lower the speed I can tell the flywheel continues to spin for a period of time.

Again, if I turn it off shortly after it starts, the flywheels cotinues to spin even if I turn the key off and remove it.

PA

09-17-04, 01:19 PM   #4  
Where is the flywheel on this tractor? I ask so that I'll know we are talking about the same part.

Visiting Guest

09-17-04, 07:37 PM   #5  
Azis
Not only to clarify which part but also, is it causing a problem with operation or is it just something you have noticed recently.

Visiting Guest

09-17-04, 07:40 PM   #6  
Azis
Are you by chance refering to the electric PTO flywheel that turns the blades?

Visiting Guest

09-17-04, 08:20 PM   #7  
sceptre
your solenoid may be sticking. i seen this happen b4.

CANADA

09-17-04, 09:34 PM   #8  
sceptre
But if the solenoid is sticking that would keep the starter engaged which would burn the starter out in no time.
I'm kinda curious as to what he is referring to as the flywheel ,cause my curiosity is up also.

snoman

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-17-04, 10:47 PM   #9  
If the starter is turning the engine over, and you have to disconnect the battery to stop it, then the solenoid is sticking and needs to be replaced. If it hasn't ruined the starter yet, it's a wonder. It will if it continues.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread