Airens YT12 Riding Mower

Old 09-19-04, 08:24 AM
Airens YT12 Riding Mower

This unit runs and starts just fine. The problem is the steering. It is very sloppy. Looking at the base of the steering column at the main steering gear I can turn it past six teeth before the main steering gear starts to move. It does turn lock to lock but it actually seems to have a wider turn radius than what it used to be.

I have a manual on the unit but nowhere does it indicate a fix for this. While cutting I cannot hold a straight line, if I hit a bump it tends to throw the wheels to the side of the sloppy steer.

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-04, 10:23 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
If the gears at the base of the column are meshing correctly and not worn or appear to be the problem, check your control and drag links for the steering. On the brackets they mount to for a hole that may have wallowed out, come loose worn swivel bent or broken.....?

Old 09-21-04, 02:40 PM
Somewhere on the frame of the machine there will be a model ID tag. Provide the model and serial numbers and I'll be better able to help you out.

Old 09-22-04, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by puey61
Somewhere on the frame of the machine there will be a model ID tag. Provide the model and serial numbers and I'll be better able to help you out.
For parts purposes I use 935026 as a model number. Its the Ariens YT1235 machine with a Kohler 12.5 hp engine.

Old 09-25-04, 10:29 PM
Puey, were you able to find anything?

Old 09-27-04, 02:55 PM
Sorry tea, I've been on vacation and then just missed your post. I'd be looking at three associated bushings where the steering shaft gear and sector gears are. One is at the end of the steering shaft, the other two are in the bracket where the sector gear is. Also, click on this link, http://partsradar.arinet.com/Scripts...r&Partner=ARNS type in your model number in the lower left of the window, then at the bottom of the next page will be a link to the break-down of the steering components. This should help you out.