Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Poorly running Murray with B&S

Visiting Guest

09-19-04, 02:09 PM   #1  
Treborek
Poorly running Murray with B&S

I have a 22" side-discharge mower with a 4.0 HP B&S which has developed a running problem that sounds as if I am gunning the engine every second on the second. It is also hard to start and seems to be using about 4x as much gas as usual. The mower is about 2 1/2 yrs old and I have, after reading some posts here about similar problems, changed the plug and air filter, taken the fuel tank & carb off and cleaned them, and replaced the rubber diaphram between tank and carb. It appears that there are no adjustments on the carb, the throttle only moves in response to the governor, the prime bulb works fine. What could be wrong with a carb this simple, and if not a carb problem, what is it? Thank you for any help.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-21-04, 01:14 AM   #2  
Still sounds like a fuel or carb problem. Possibly water in the gas? Did you clean the pickup tube screen and verify that the tube is clear?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

09-29-04, 03:32 PM   #3  
Treborek
Thanks for the reply, cheese. I tried cleaning and fiddling around with the carb again and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it so I bought a new one ($20.00) and installed it. Problem fixed!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-30-04, 01:26 AM   #4  
Glad you got it!

The carb is plastic, and the jet seems to work loose sometimes, and nothing really can be done for it. The carb warps sometimes too. Replacement is the only option in these cases.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread