Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cant keep a 12h. and a 14h. running

Visiting Guest

09-22-04, 12:06 PM   #1  
ddunn
Cant keep a 12h. and a 14h. running

Ivgot a 12h.p. brigs that wont stay running it will run for about 30 mins and then it will start ideling down and wont idle back up then it shuts down and startes back firing every time i try to restart it but it wont restart if i let it sit for about 4 hours it will start agin but will not stay running it lastes for about twonty mins after the forhour wait.................

Ivalso got a 14 h.p. kohler command engine that startes and runs at a high rpm and runns like that for about an hour or less it varys every time i try to run it but iv tryed to lower the rpms so it dosent run like that but all that iv tried theres no change iv tryed to adjust the carbrater bown with no luck in the rpms it still runns is the same...................

is there any thing any one can sugest that i can do to fix the problems with both engines aside from replacing them

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-23-04, 01:04 AM   #2  
On the 12hp, have you checked for spark when it won't start?

On the 14hp, check the throttle linkage on the side of the engine to make sure it is moving the throttle. Could be a stuck throttle shaft or cable.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

09-23-04, 08:01 AM   #3  
ddunn
Posted By: cheese On the 12hp, have you checked for spark when it won't start?

On the 14hp, check the throttle linkage on the side of the engine to make sure it is moving the throttle. Could be a stuck throttle shaft or cable.
thanks cheese iv checked for a spark its got one every time i try .

the throttle linkage every thing moves freelee its all got me confused on whats wrong

CANADA

09-23-04, 09:31 AM   #4  
ddunn
On your Briggs engine, there is a possibility that the vlave specs might be to tight and when it heats up, the valves expand which can cause one of the valves to stay open thus causing the lack of compression(poor running) and backfiring (from valve being open just a tad)

For the Kohler, check to make sure the governor system (linkage) isn't binding. That is what controls the overall top end RPMs, if it's sticking (which isn't good) you must find out if there is an obstruction or an internal problem.

snoman

Visiting Guest

09-23-04, 12:32 PM   #5  
ddunn
Posted By: snoman ddunn
On your Briggs engine, there is a possibility that the vlave specs might be to tight and when it heats up, the valves expand which can cause one of the valves to stay open thus causing the lack of compression(poor running) and backfiring (from valve being open just a tad)

For the Kohler, check to make sure the governor system (linkage) isn't binding. That is what controls the overall top end RPMs, if it's sticking (which isn't good) you must find out if there is an obstruction or an internal problem.

snoman
thanks snowman i checked the kohler it had an internal problem the the rode was brock in two on the inside of the carbarater

i havent had time to look over the brigs yet as soon as i do ill leave the resolt on here

Search this Thread