Zero turn owners

Old 09-23-04, 11:53 AM
Post Zero turn owners

I am looking for a a good quality industrial Zero-turn riding mower-
in terms of quality what should I be looking for when shopping for one; engine, gears, frame etc. I am not at all familar with them.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-04, 01:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello handyhand!

There are so many different ZTRs, and most are decent enough. Generally you get what you pay for, sorta. (for 6 G's you ought to get a mower that cuts the grass itself, lol). Most of them have substantial decks and frames. Look for hydraulic oil coolers, engine oil coolers, a good engine like a honda, kawasaki, kohler, or briggs vanguard. Check the deck raise/lower mechanism to be sure you can operate it easily. If you're cutting thick grass, make sure the deck is deep enough to discharge the clippings quickly.

I havent seen/worked on all brands of ZTRs, but I like the Exmarks, Yazoo/Kees, and Buntons I've seen. John Deere seems to be getting a good share of the ZTR market as well, but I haven't worked on many. From the ones I've seen, they appear to be good machines. I especially like the Kawasaki engines they come with.

Old 09-24-04, 06:39 AM
Around here the landscapers/yard men seem to be on Grasshoppers. Even this little town has a Grasshopper dealer. From looking to my neighbors yard, they have a service, it cuts very well and is there every week. So I would guess they hold up well.

My $.02

Old 09-24-04, 03:06 PM
Around these parts, Ferris is popular. I guess that's because their built in my back yard. But honestly, we work on many different brands for many customers and I like them the best. Due ,in part, to their simplicity and design. Not to mention, there are several models with independent suspension, which by the way, is a nice feature.