Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman Garden Tractor Problems

Visiting Guest

09-23-04, 05:26 PM   #1  
tsutherl
Craftsman Garden Tractor Problems

I have a GT3000 which is a 23.0 HP Kohler engine and 50" deck. I am having 3 problems.
1. The battery will not hold a charge. The mower is 2 years old. I replace the battery and still won't hold a charge. I have checked all connections and there is no corrosion or loose terminals. I replaced the regulator and still have the same problem. I have not been able to find an alternator, nor a part number for one. If I jump it it starts right up.
2. This problem just started the other day. When mowing, after I jump start it, if you bounce off the seat the blades stop, like they are supposed to. The problem is you have to wait about 2 minutes before the blades will start again.
3. For the last 6 months the mower has mowed like crap, where it seems like it is missing huge areas. I have tried new blades, made sure all grass was cleaned out below and above the deck. Made sure that the airways around the mandrels were clear, and that the deck is level. Nothing seems to work.
Any help on any of these would be appreciated as I am out of options.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-24-04, 12:55 AM   #2  
Hello tsutherl!

#1: Assuming the battery is good (if it's 2 years old or more, then that's questionable), Look in the area under the gas tank, behind the engine. There should be some relays, probably 3. All have a blue wire going to them, and one has 2 red wires. The one with the red wires is the one that controls the charging circuit. You can remove the black cover from over the relay and clean the rust and sand the points in it to get it working again unless it's too bad. Then you'll need to replace it. All 3 relays need to be working. If the mower ever gets wet, then they are probably corroded inside.

#2: This is because you have a dead battery. The blades require battery power to come on.

#3: What kind of cut is it leaving behind? Low spots, streaks, ragged torn grass, etc...?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

09-24-04, 05:20 AM   #3  
tsutherl
Battery

Thanks for the information. I forgot to put in my post that I changed the battery out two weeks ago so the battery is new. I will look for the relays tonight. As for the cut, when you are mowing it leaves patches that are roughly 3" wide by 3' long where it doesn't cut. It's completely at randow. Still don't understand the blade not starting issue? Our yard is extremely bumpy so occasionally you will bounce off the seat to momemtarily kill the seat switch. The engine stays running since you immediately sit back down, however, once the blades shut off, even with the engine on you have to wait 2 minutes before you can get the blades to come back on. This just started happening a week ago.

TN

05-08-08, 06:39 PM   #4  
Kohler has two regulators rectifiers one is for the battery units and the other is for recoil start units with the electric clutch,and no batt. when you bounce off the seat the battery only can deliver what it has and that maybe to low to kick the clutch in ... maybe. Make sure the seat switch is making contact it is a big culprit in many cases. You say it wont charge have you ohmed the stator, it should be less than 1 ohm abt .5 or.6 ohms. And make sure the center wire on the regulator is on the b+ the stator wires are the two white ones on the out side connectors of the regulator. With the connector off the reg. use your meter on AC and read the volts around 30 or so (engine running) if so shut down and hook back up and now use the DC portion and touch black meter probe to engine and red to b+ if the reg is good you will have 12 to 14 depending on rpms. if you do check all wire connectors as that will be the next area to go to.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-09-08, 12:39 AM   #5  
I thought I'd bring to your attention that this thread is almost 4 years old. Not saying your post isn't welcome, just that they probably have the problem fixed by now.

God bless!

KY

06-23-08, 07:43 PM   #6  
customsport's post is probably a little late for tsutherl but I'm having the same problem as tsutherl was so I'm glad that you posted customsport. I found this thread through Google and will try the fixes noted. Thanks for the help!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-23-08, 07:57 PM   #7  
Gla you found some useful info here. If you need further assistance, feel free to ask.

The relays I mentioned in this thread are normally on craftsman/AYP mowers with kohlers, but not all kohler powered models. Also, I did not mention that the stator windings could be bad, but customsport covered that part thankfully.

God bless!

Search this Thread