Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

stubburn flywheel

Visiting Guest

09-23-04, 07:01 PM   #1  
sceptre
stubburn flywheel

hello guys,
i have a honda walkbehind lawnmower, and i'm having problems
removing the flywheel. it is mounted underneath the mower above
the blade. i've applied heat under pressure, i have a harmonic puller
tightened so tight i think it might break, on it rite now. i've sprayed kroil
on it also. i've also tapped it with a hammer.

help,

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-24-04, 12:49 AM   #2  
Flywheel under the mower???? I think you're trying to remove something else, like the blade clutch. The flywheel should be on top.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

09-24-04, 05:41 AM   #3  
sceptre
cheese,
the flywheel is really on the bottom. my neighbor has four of these
things, they all has magnesium decks and this particular oddball honda engine.
the mower is 18 years old. we're robbing a flywheel off of another to install on the other. these engines are ohv with a perpendicular recoil very odd looking indeed. we're going to see if it popped loose in the nite, as we thightened the puller with an impact wrench yesterday.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-25-04, 01:28 AM   #4  
Strange. I've never seen one to my knowledge. Good luck with it!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

09-25-04, 06:42 AM   #5  
I'm not familiar with the strange setup you have either. If you are trying to pull from the edges you may have difficulty. The flywheel may tend to bind and be very difficult to remove. Are there any threaded holes on the top of the flywheel?? I know I've tried & tried to remove pulleys & flywheels before without just the right tool and have only been successful in tearing up my tools, busted my knuckles and wasted a bunch of time without the flywheel moving an inch. Heat doesn't even seem to work. Look very carefully at your setup and see what you have to work with. If there are a pair of bolt holes on top you can usually use a tool shaped like an H to get a straight even pull. Sometimes there is room to get behind the pulley or flywheel with a clam shaped puller.

I wish you luck...Someone must have all of mine because I have not been able to move any flywheels recently without the proper tool.

Visiting Guest

09-25-04, 11:29 PM   #6  
sceptre
I Used A Harmonic Balancer Puller. I've Used It Lots Of Times To Remove Outboard Engine Flywheels. My Neighbor Tapped On It Again The Next Morning And It Broke One Of The Bolts Off In The Flywheel.
I Reckon We'll Try To Get This Engine Running And Abandon The Flywheel Switching Idea.

Thanx,
Robert

Search this Thread