Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

PRoblem with blade?>?

Visiting Guest

09-24-04, 12:40 PM   #1  
dave85
PRoblem with blade?>?

Hey guys i have a 12 hp briggs mtd riding mower and just recently I got her running good but when cutting the grass i run into a problem quite often. When i go over thick grass the blade just quits turning and when i move it over to shorter graass she starts turning again, pretty strange huh? Not good though when your mower cant cut over thick grass, dave

Sponsored Links

PA

09-24-04, 01:53 PM   #2  
The belt that drives the mower deck is not properly tensioned, or the wrong size? Whatever blade engagement mechanism is used is slipping because it is out of adjustment? Sure would help to know what brand and model this mower was.

NY

09-24-04, 02:54 PM   #3  
Do you know when the last time the blade drive belt was changed? With the engine off, engage the blade belt and check for tension. Now you won't be able to play a tune off of it to be proper but there should be good enough tension so as to prevent slippage under stressful conditions. If you are unsure just how much is good, maybe you have a neighbor friend who has some experience. Also, on the outside of the belt there will be a part number (if it's still legible, that is) that should begin with 754-. Post back with the chassis model and serial numbers as well as the part number of the belt and I'll let you know which belt part number you should have on there. Other issues to consider (if it's not a belt problem) would be deck alignment and/or spindle bearing trouble. One step at a time though.

Visiting Guest

09-26-04, 03:00 PM   #4  
dave85
well dude when the blade isnt engaged its lose, but when it is engaged its actually pretty tight i dont know what it could be then

NY

09-27-04, 03:17 AM   #5  
You should find the chassis model and serial numbers under the seat...What are these? You may well have worn pulley's, whereas the belt sits too far into each one and rather than the vee of the pulley driving, the ID of such is. This will certainly cause slippage.

Visiting Guest

09-28-04, 05:29 AM   #6  
dave85
Hey man well i did forget to mention that the belt does come off pretty regular and to get it back on i turn the engine off and engage the blade and its pretty tight but it is goes on? whatever info you need from here just let me know thanks alot dave

Search this Thread