Homelite Flex Shaft

Old 09-25-04, 05:55 AM
aguy56
Visiting Guest
Homelite Flex Shaft

Would anyone know how to repalce the flexshaft in a Homelite string trimmer model #UT20779(it is a trim-lite)

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-04, 09:28 AM
Towards the rear of the throttle control/grip there will be a single screw to loosen (this is the clamp). Merely loosen this and the housing will pull out of the engine enabling you to remove the flex shaft. By the way, the part number you will need is UP03031.

Old 09-25-04, 11:27 AM
aguy56
Visiting Guest
Thanks for replying

Hi PUEY 61

Thanks for replying.

I have the shaft and motor separated Ĺ of the broken flex shaft removed, and this is where my problem starts. I still have about 6 inches of the broken flex shaft in the shaft that I cannot get out to install the new flex shaft. So Iím stumped in as far as how to get the remaining flex shaft out, is there a way to remove the guts from to bottom of shaft (where the line head attaches) in order to remove the rest of the broken shaft or is there some other way in which I can remove the broken shaft?

Thanks again,

Aguy56

Old 09-28-04, 12:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello aguy56!

There is no way to remove the end of the shaft if it hasn't got a gearbox on the end. It is crimped on. Another boom would be needed to fix this. Usually the small engine shops will have several trimmers that have been junked, and will sell parts off them cheap.

Old 09-28-04, 03:15 AM
Sorry, no trick here either to get the broken piece out. Housing replacement would be necessary. Used would be the way to go. If not, the part number is UP04357, which by the way, includes a new flex shaft.

Old 10-01-04, 07:57 PM
aguy56
Visiting Guest
Thanks Guys

Hi,

I got it figured out.

Inside the shaft there is a plastic guide for the flex shaft, well when the flex shaft broke (right at the bend) it mangled the plastic guide which wasn't letting it out so all I had to do was get ahold of the plastic guide with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull it out along with the broken piece of the flex shaft which was causing the problem, and seeing as the plastic guide was only mangled at the bend all I had to do was reverse the plastic guide and reinstall it with the flex shaft already in it (properly lubercated) and put it back together.

I also found a great place on the web site for parts (1/3 less) "Outdoor Distributors".

I would like to "Thank Everyone" that took the time to write in with advice and God Bless.

Aguy56

Old 10-02-04, 01:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it. Thanks for letting us know what you did. I never had any luck getting that plastic piece out without ruining it.