advice on 10 hp tecumseh

Old 09-28-04, 09:29 PM
advice on 10 hp tecumseh

Have a JD snowblower with a 10 hp tecumseh 4 cycle w elect. start. It died last winter while running full-out, so this summer I pulled it apart - found the rod in two pieces. Hoping that the crankshaft was not damaged or the engine block cracked - it does not leak so I am hoping. 1)Been quoted on a replacement engine - new, 2)also quoted on a rebuilt engine which is 1/2 the price of a new one - 3)or just fix the rod and hope for the best. Really want to avoid option 1...

The blower body is in good shape. Thanks for the advice both + and -.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-04, 12:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello wendl!

Can't really advise you until we know the condition of your existing engine. If it's in good enough shape, you can rebuild it yourself for less than the other options. A short-block would be another option.

Old 10-01-04, 07:01 AM
wendl
For some unknown reason Tecumseh is famous for throwing rods, I've fixed many of them. Sometimes (if the damage is minimal) you can clean the crank, put in a new rod and rings and be ready to go again. There have been times when the rod let go, it broke the block. Now depending on where it broke the block, it may be able to be fiberglassed. This kind of repair job should be left to someone who has experienced this problem before. You don't want to glass it and find out afterwards that it is still leaking oil. Like cheese said, I think a short block would be the most advantagious way to go.

snoman

Old 10-02-04, 01:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fiberglass? I haven't seen that yet. Have you had much luck with it on an aluminum (and hot) engine? I've seen them mig welded and JB welded with success, but haven't seen fiberglass on one yet.

Old 10-02-04, 05:55 AM
cheese
I've done about a dozen of them so far and never a leak. Prepping the inside and outside is very important. As long as the cylinder wall hasn't been damaged two sheets on the inside and a couple on the outside has worked for me. I had one that was epoxied (not by me) come in for repair and it leaked so that made me even more sure about the strength of glassing.
Also when I fix a motor this way for resale, I always tell and show the customer what I did and explain why.

snoman

Old 10-03-04, 02:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Interesting. You never know whats gonna work .