Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawnmower problem

09-28-04, 10:41 PM   #1  
Lawnmower problem

Help!

I think I may have done something wrong with my YardWorks 4.5HP lawnmower which is only a year old. I have the box which states it has an oil pressure pump for quick reliable starts but have mislaid the manual.

Anyway I checked the oil to find it needed topping up and added SAE 10W40 and it worked ok. Next time I went to start it it was almost impossible. When I did finally get it going it bellowed out thick grey smoke then every few minutes almost cut out and bellowed out another batch of thick grey smoke and continued to do this. Have I used the wrong grade of oil or something and what can I do to sort this as this machine is definitely sick!

Thanks anyone.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-29-04, 12:21 AM   #2  
Hello 2Limeys!

The engine should take SAE30 oil, not 10W-40. That alone may not be the entire cause of your problem though. I don't know what brand or model# engine you have, but if it is over-filled with oil it can do this, if the air filter is excessively clogged it can do this, and if the carburetor has leaked gas into the crankcase it can do this.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

09-29-04, 07:06 AM   #3  
Lawnmower problem

Thank you Cheese

But is this something I should be able to identify/fix myself or should I take it somewhere for service? In other words if I attempt to take off the carb etc am I going to end up with a million pieces unable to put back together again or is it quite straight forward for a relative novice?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-30-04, 01:33 AM   #4  
If the carb is leaking gas into the crankcase, you'll smell it in the dipstick tube. If you smell it, then yes, the carb has to be repaired. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, you can do this with no problem. There shouldn't be many pieces, and it's straight forward. What make and model engine do you have?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread