Help! Stop Lever Wire Snapped Into Two Pieces

Old 10-02-04, 06:45 AM
Help! Stop Lever Wire Snapped Into Two Pieces

help me please. i went to a neighbors yardsale yesterday and i bought a yardmachines push-mower for $10. i got home and was going to crank it up and the stop lever wire snapped into two pieces. well i went ahead and drained the oil, removed the spark plug, drained the old gas, removed the airfilter, and finally took the blade off. it needs to be tuned up because the oil was solid black. i know that it is a yard-machines with a 4-hp B&S engine and a 20-inch deck on it. it has four small wheels. i can't get the numbers right now because of the rain. i was just wondering where i can get the wire to replace the old one with and how to replace it. there is another probelm too but i want to get this fixed first because i think it is the probelm. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-04, 06:59 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: littleworker

Should not be any problem getting a replacement cable wire. Generic cables are available at most hardware stores, online, big box stores or the local lawn mower repair shops in your area.

Check availablity at diy:
http://doityourself.com/store/power...accessories.htm

Briggs and Stratton Home Page:
http://www.briggsandstratton.com
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/dis...sp?DocID=64103

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
Master Small Engine Tech. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor and Multiple Topics Moderator.
"Accurate Power Equipment Company." Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.

Old 10-02-04, 07:13 AM
thanks sharpadvice. i just got the engine numbers.

MODEL: 10A902
TYPE: 2171 B1
CODE: 00030154

i will try to get a replacement today and i will get back to you later. if anyone knows how to replace these let me know please. thanks.

Old 10-04-04, 01:34 PM
good news. i pulled the cover off of the engine and removed the fly-wheel brake so i could see if it would even run. luckily it did. to stop it i choked the carb. i drained the old oil and put castrol heavy duty SAE 30 oil in it, garden center guy at walmart reccomeneded it. i put a new plug in it and started it up. oh yeah, i also put a new muffler on it. i started it up and cleaned the carb with gumout(plus i had already took it off and put fresh gas in it and got the old gunk out) and it ran great except for smoking and the engine reving high the idling. it kept on going high-low high-low and the engine was smoking. i got to looking and realized i had almost a 1/4 quart to much oil in it.

i was wonderin, since i drained some oil to make it exactly right and removed the block to clean it out if it would keep the mower form reving and then idling and then reving. the carb is attached to a flap the moves the throttle open and closed. help please because i am going to give this to my grandpa if he wants it.

Old 10-04-04, 07:03 PM
sceptre
Visiting Guest
the revving and idling condition sounds like the engine may be starving for fuel.
clean the carb very good, and it should clear up the problem.
post back and tell us if this worked.

Old 10-04-04, 10:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You'll probably have to replace the carburetor diaphragm to stop the surging, especially if you had the carb off without changing it.

Old 10-05-04, 02:15 PM
i'll clean the carb and see how it goes. my neighbor has the smae lawnmower sitting for the dump and i might get it for spar parts and ditch it. saves me some money. well i'll clean er up and get back to you. see ya.

i have a quick question. would i be better off with an impact wrench (230 ft-IB torque) or a air ratchet(50 ft-IB torgue) for removing lawnmower blades and servicing lawnmowers?thanks.

Old 10-05-04, 04:57 PM
great news!

i removed the carb today and sprayed it with gumout and took an air-compressor to it. i started it up and it ran a little rough so i looked at the carb and the springs were out of line so i fixed them and it ran great. well the lawnmower ran out of gas and the gunk got back in the carb and it started to smoke as it had before cleaning. the muffler was smoking not the carb.

i took te carb off one more time and cleaned it very well and the hoses that connect to it. i got to looking at the gas tank since the carb sits directly on it and it was filled with red gum, i sprayued it three times and wiped it after each spray and it was clean. i put the carb back on an fixed the seals to where they were tight. i pulled the cord to start it up and it fired right up. it ran rought for just a second and then went into a smooth idle. i mowed a little with it and it didn't even struggle. i am glad that it is fixed.

i have some questions. i bought this lawnmower for my grandpa because he has to weed-eat an embankment and it takes him 2 hours. i figured he could use the mower to at least mow around his house, trees, and swings so he doesn't have to trim as much. it has the paint peeling off and stuff. do you think tat i should paint it so he would appreciate it more and so that it doesn't rust through and should i clean it up real nice? thanks for all of the help and let me know what you think. it would be free to him and an early thanksgiving present to him.

Old 10-06-04, 01:18 PM
should i paint it?

if my grandpa doesn't want it, do you think that it would sell better with a paint job? for a present thought, would you paint it? let me know please.