replace chainsaw

Old 10-04-04, 08:09 PM
replace chainsaw

I recently had both my chainsaws stolen(echo and poulan) and now need to purchase new saw. I only cut about 5 cords of firekilled jackpine per year and am looking at craftsman 42 cc,18 inch saw @ 179.00 cdn. Any horror stories about this saw out there ?? I can buy three of these saws for the price of a husky,stihl or echo. Not sure which way to go !!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-04, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator
davecsr,

Major saw brands offer smaller less expensive saws that are competitive with econo models.

I bought a McCullough new because of price and after a year and a half put it on a shelf.
I went out and bought a used Stihl, which in the last three and a half years have only put in fuel and sharpened the chain.

Old 10-04-04, 10:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello davecsr!

If you are going to use it for occasional light homeowner use, then I'd say go for the cheaper one I guess, though it probably won't be as reliable as a stihl or other high-end saw. The craftsman is made by Poulan. It compares with the rest of the homeowner lines of saws.

Old 10-05-04, 01:22 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
5 chords is a fair amount of wood for a year. Personally I have a Husky 38cc 16" and have used and abused it for 10 yrs without a mechanical problem.
The homeowner lines I have worked on and used while testing, just did not feel like what I would pack in the back of the truck to go cut firewood. They work great for trimming limbs and trees around the house, but a couple of years of cuttin firewood and you may be looking again for a new saw.
I really think you get what you pay for when it comes to chain saws

Good luck...

P.S.
I paid about $175 for mine in 1994

Old 10-05-04, 05:40 AM
cheap saw

Thanks for the input everyone !
may look at a used echo !!

Old 10-06-04, 12:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Now yer talkin'!

Search this Thread