Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

gas soaked air filter

10-04-04, 10:02 PM   #1  
gas soaked air filter

Hello everyone. Sorry for being gone for so long, a couple of months back I managed to get a job as a mechanic for an oilfield company so I rarely get on the computer anymore. O.K., Here is the problem. I have a 5 hp briggs that is on a water pump. This pump was bought at a state auction. I got the engine running good by adjusting the fuel mixture, but there is still one problem left. Gas continues to leak out the intake and soaks the air filter to the point that the engine won't start. When I take the air filter off, the engine runs perfectly. What could cause this? Could this be caused by the needle valve not sealing off the gas? This engine gas a gas tank mounted above the engine so it is gravity fed. There is a fuel shutoff valve but that wouldn't fix the problem while it's running. Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links

10-04-04, 10:33 PM   #2  
It sounds like your Float is not working properly. Take your float out of the carb and shake it near you ear, if you here a swooshing sound, its bad and must be replaced. Make sure you clean that carb well too with Gumout spray carb...Wear goggles when using that stuff.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-04-04, 10:33 PM   #3  
Hello Mower17!

Glad to see you, and congrats on the job!

Is the filter getting wet wehn the engine is running, stopped, or both? If when running, but not when stopped, I would suspect valves too tight. If when stopped, or both, then I would say the needle valve is not seating.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

10-25-04, 10:02 PM   #4  
Sorry for responding so late, had computer trouble. I guess I will go ahead and clean/replace the needle valve/needle valve seat. Thanks.

Search this Thread