Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Removing crankshaft

AL

10-05-04, 02:25 PM   #1  
Removing crankshaft

I just bought a bunch of returned Homelite string trimmers and blowers from a large store close to where I live. I am in the process of salvaging usable parts. All of the engines have the same "basic" build-up. The crankshaft is single ended with two ball bearings on the flywheel side. My question is, how do remove these crankshafts and bearings? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-05-04, 07:58 PM   #2  
sceptre
remove the engine from the housing , then remove the flywheel and cyclinder.
remove the sump cover, slide the piston and rod assy. from the crankshaft. slide the crankshaft out.

AL

10-05-04, 08:23 PM   #3  
I'm afraid it's not that easy. All that I have is the crankcase with crankshaft and bearings. I was wondering if maybe I could press the crankshaft out. I've tried wedgeing under the counter weight with a couple of screwdrivers...it will move out a little...but then stops. Some of the crankshafts are approximately 1-1/2" long (on the flywheel end), while others are 4" long...depending on whether or not it has a clutch.

Visiting Guest

10-05-04, 10:08 PM   #4  
sceptre
ive never seen the problem you describe.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-05-04, 11:58 PM   #5  
It's been a long time since I removed one, but I think they just press out on a homelite.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread