Rehabbing Snapper, couple a questions...

Old 10-05-04, 08:13 PM
theboogins
Visiting Guest
Rehabbing Snapper, couple a questions...

Took a look under my recently acquired Snapper rider and noticed two things-duct tape on the axle boot at the wheel on the passengers side wheel-you know, the left side, and grease coming from what appeared to be a crack on the differential housing near the right side wheel.

I can just replace the boot but the housing trouble me a little. Do I have it identified correctly? is the right the differential housing or the chain cover or what? This is my first surgery so I'm not sure of the terminology.

I've searched the internet for a replacement housing, with no hits-am I going to have to patch this one or find one used somewhere?

Thanks.

J. Boggs

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-04, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
You could pull the diff. off the tractor and take it to someone that welds aluminum castings (maybe a boat propeller shop). Other than that try JB Weld and hope it holds.

Old 10-16-04, 02:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A snapper dealer should have used housings, or be able to get you a new one. Aluminum welding isn't necessary, but any machine shop or place with a small mig welder would be able to weld it up. Busted axle boots are common on those snappers. While you have the housing off, you might want to change the chain at least, and any other obviously bad or worn parts.