McCulloch chain saw has no spark

Old 10-07-04, 02:35 PM
johnsnook
Visiting Guest
McCulloch chain saw has no spark

I just got a McCulloch chain saw MAC 160 s, it has no spark, can anyone tell me what the problem could be and how to fix ?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-04, 01:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Johnsnook!

Remove the engine kill wire from the coil and see if you get spark. If not, then you have a bad coil (if electronic ignition), or problems with the coil, points, and or condenser (if breaker point ignition). Make sure your spark plug is good!

Old 10-08-04, 03:17 AM
This saw may in fact have points & condensor & coil or a CDI ignition. If point ignition, these are the likely cause of your trouble but you may have trouble with the coil as well. If point ignition, the part number for the points is 88811, the condensor is 85358.

Old 10-09-04, 08:06 PM
johnsnook
Visiting Guest
mcculloch chain saw MAC 160s

I am trying to get the back cover off the saw to get to the points and or coil but something is holding it on. I have taken out all bolts and the only thing I can see is a white plastic tab on the bottom which apparently is part of the fuel tank. Is there a trick to get that tab out of the bottom of the case ?

Old 10-09-04, 09:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mac saws are usually tricky...lots of stuff crammed into a small spot and everything is situated just-so. I can't remember off the top of my head how the cover is removed, but I believe the tab doesn't really hold the cover on, it just keeps the fuel tank in place. The tank may be snugly-fitted into the cover though, making it difficult to remove.