Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumsce 10 on Coleman Powermate

Visiting Guest

10-07-04, 04:33 PM   #1  
Robnik1
Tecumsce 10 on Coleman Powermate

Hello All,
Looking for some help on a coleman generator. I am using more oil than I think is normal. I have contacted coleman and their tech. informed me there can be a consumption of 1 ounce per hour. This seems a lot to me as the unit will try to shutdown on a low oil signal during an overnite run. This makes a good nite sleep difficult during a poweroutage.
I have removed the cylinder head to inspect the cylinder walls. It appears to be in very good condition (this unit is brand new). I was considering replacing the rings , is there any other problem I may be having that would cause this oil usage. It is not smoking at all and would appear to be running perfectly.
Any help? Thanks a Bunch

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-08-04, 01:12 AM   #2  
Hello Robnik1!

How new is it? What kind of oil are you using (weight)? A new engine shouldn't need rings. If you are using a multi-viscosity oil, then this is likely the problem. Use straight sae30 oil.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

10-10-04, 09:17 AM   #3  
Robnik1
Thank you for the reply,
I am using 30w at the instruct of coleman tech support. I was using 10-30 but changed it to 30. It was better but still would not run thru the nite. I have pulled the head and found very heavy carbon deposits. I believe this was caused by the low oil sender making and breaking, causing the engine die and then come back several times during the nite before I was able to shut it down and refill the oil.
Would running 40 w help? This unit has about 30-50 hours on it. I changed the oil daily during periods of power outage.

Search this Thread