Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

16 hp Tecumseh valve timing

10-11-04, 04:43 PM   #1  
16 hp Tecumseh valve timing

HELP !! I've got a 16hp Tecumseh from an old Sears ST/16 garden tractor.This engine was given to me in pieces and I am trying to reassemble it for a friend I have no idea how the valve timing should be set up. There is a mark on the case that I assume corresponds with the mark on the cam gear but nothing on the crank.I couldn't find any numbers on the engine but the Sears model # is 143.650012 it's an overhead valve engine and also has two balance shafts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-12-04, 12:25 AM   #2  
Hello brntkndll!

Line up the mark with the keyway on the gear that drives the camshaft if I remember right.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

10-12-04, 12:11 PM   #3  
Thanks for the reply Cheese. I'm unable to see the key for the cam drive gear because of the pressed on roller bearing in front of it.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-13-04, 12:17 AM   #4  
Look for a beveled tooth on the gear on the crankshaft.

God bless!

10-13-04, 12:18 PM   #5  
Cheese, You are the man !!!!!!! Thanks so much for your help.Watching the cam followers while turning the engine over looks much better now. There appears to be a mark in the case by the cam shaft gear but it must just be a casting flaw. What do ya think? Again thank you so very much.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-16-04, 02:21 AM   #6  
Glad you got it! There are almost always casting marks of wierd sizes and shapes inside a small engine block. Probably nothing to worry about.

God bless!

Search this Thread