Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh chipper-vac

Visiting Guest

10-13-04, 06:06 AM   #1  
zbird7
Tecumseh chipper-vac

I am the not-so-proud owner of a Garden Way Deluxe Chipper-Vac powered(?) by a Tecumseh 3.8 HP Vantage M/N TVS 90. This unit is on four wheels and you push it around like a lawn mower to pick up leaves and stuff. There are two vacuum inlets, on the bottom in front just like a vacuum cleaner, and the other is a round hole (3-4") in the front to hook up a hose to suck debris out of corners. There are block-off plates for each of these inlets so that one inlet can be blocked off while the other is in use. If both of the vacuum inlets are blocked off at the same time, the engine runs like a champ. As soon as you remove either plate, the engine falters and stalls.
My first thought was maybe a governor problem, but it seems like if the governor wasn't working, the effect would be the opposite. On further investigation, when the engine falters, the governor is holding the throttle full open, which is what it should be doing
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Zbird7

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-13-04, 10:38 AM   #2  
Azis
Normally you would be looking at a simple carb adjustment or cleaning, you can try cleaning the carb and make sure you have no fuel restrictions in the fuel tank or line. The carb has no adjustments or settings and is half plastic so only use aerosol carb cleaner.
I had one TVS 90 on a 22" murray I kicked around my shop for way too long. It had the same problem, would run great until put under a load. I was to the point of chasing intake leaks replacing gaskets when the mower wound up in a truck headed for the local high school Power Mech. shop
I did not try replacing the carb and possibly would have solved the problem, however I was looking at a 60 - 80 dollar part for a 150 dollar mower New!
Your application may warrant the investment if it comes to it.
Try the simple stuff clean the carb and fuel lines see what happens, and maybe some one has some ideas now that was not around when I posted on my TVS 90 adventure.
Good luck and keep us updated

Visiting Guest

10-13-04, 01:56 PM   #3  
zbird7
The problem with this engine is that it runs strong under load, but hardly runs at all under any other condition.
I can't vacuum anything with both inlets ports blocked at the same time.

Visiting Guest

10-13-04, 11:10 PM   #4  
Azis
So I see, Sorry I misread your post.
Falter as in dies like a switch turned off? Or just hard to keep running? I am not familiar with your vacuum but are there any safety swithces that may be involved?

Visiting Guest

10-14-04, 09:37 AM   #5  
zbird7
It's not an ignition problem. It falters like a fuel delivery problem, but the throttle is being held wide open by the governor. The fact that it runs good under a heavy load leads me to believe that it's getting all the fuel it needs.
I really don't know what to think about this.

Group Moderator

NC

10-14-04, 04:04 PM   #6  
Blocking both your inlets does not generate a heavy load. It draws a vacuum and creates a light load. If you have a shop-vac or vacuum cleaner with a hose put your hand over the end of the hose and you will hear the motor run faster than normal.

An engine can run at full rpm and not require much fuel if there is not load on it (high rpm, moderate manifold pressure). Put a load on the engine and it requires more fuel to maintain the same rpm (high rpm, high manifold pressure); if the carb. cannot deliver enough fuel than it runs lean and misses & sputters.

I tend to think Azis is on the right track. It sounds like something is clogging a jet or metering hole.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-16-04, 02:16 AM   #7  
Correct...the engine is under a light load with all ports blocked. The pump has nothing to pump, and cavitates, and the engine can run easily. You have carburetior trouble. A repair kit is available for the carb.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

10-16-04, 09:24 AM   #8  
Azis
The only parts that are replaceable are the needle and bowl gasket. And the inards are all plastic. In fact most of these carbs have no operator controlled throttle or choke. Hope a cleaning gets you going, the carb is a disposable part.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-17-04, 08:56 PM   #9  
Yeah, the "kit" I referred to is not much...as Azis said. Just a gasket and needle. Really, I never need a needle, but the gasket usually fixes the carb unless the bowl is warped too badly. (along with cleaning the carb).

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

10-18-04, 12:56 PM   #10  
zbird7
Thanks to everybody for all the help. It looks like I'll have to take off the carb and clean it out. We'll see if that does any good. Thanks again.

Search this Thread