Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

weed trimmer spark?

Visiting Guest

10-13-04, 11:50 AM   #1  
johnjay28
weed trimmer spark?

i have been having a lot of trouble to start this sears trimmer. when it does start it runs rough. i removed the spark plug, attached the wire back toit and grounded the plug to the cylinder head. when it got dark i pulled on the rope and only saw it spark once i pulled on the rope again and thru all the revolutions i only saw 1 spark. isn't it suppose to spark once every revolution? this unit does not have points or cond. does this type of coil malfunction like this or could it be out of adjustment. this coil has never been removed. the wire seems to be ok. what should i check next? thanks john

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

10-13-04, 05:51 PM   #2  
Hello johnjay28. Welcome to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

What you might need to do first, especially when there is not spark at a spark plug, is test the kill switch and wire to it. Switch may be grounded out or defective. The wire grounded out or is grounding out.

Reading this thread will point out all the other possibleities but none of which where the cause. The kill switch wire was the cause. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=182182

Your machine may likely have the same problem. Check it before assuming some other part(s) are the cause.

If you need further assistance, use the reply button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically & keeps all communications in this one thread.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
Master Small Engine Tech. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor and Multiple Topics Moderator.
"Accurate Power Equipment Company." Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.

Regards and Good Luck.
Web Site Admin, Moderator Hiring Agent, Host and Forums Manager. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician. Fast, Fair, Friendly and Highly Proficient...

Don't Take Freedom For Granted. Thank A Veteran. Need an Employee? Hire a Veteran

Not only is a mind a terrible thing to waste, it's like a parachute.

It doesn't function until it's OPEN.........

Elvis. "The Sun Never Sets On A Legend."

Gun safety is using BOTH hands!

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Visiting Guest

10-14-04, 03:57 PM   #3  
johnjay28
weed trimmer spark?

manny thanks to sharp advice.
your info did the trick. i totally dismantled the trimmer and started checking for a ground but everything was ok. i happened to look at the coil gap and it looked pretty wide. it was set at .032 i recall you mentioned between .010 and .012. i reset the gap to .011 and assembled the unit, gassed it up, primed it and on the first pull it came to life. scared the s;'' out of me as i was not expecting this. i shut it down and restarted it ten times and it starts on the first pull. since i bought it new i always had trouble starting it. thanks again. john

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-16-04, 02:17 AM   #4  
Good job! Glad you got it fixed!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread