Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sears Craftsman Eager 1 frustrations..Help!

AL

10-14-04, 07:54 PM   #1  
Sears Craftsman Eager 1 frustrations..Help!

I have a Sears Craftsman Mulcher - Eager 1 - 6.75 Model# 917388400 have had for several years and I've never seemed to be able to start it twice in a row! I've taken it to Sears so many times, even while in warranty, and they have tried to repair but I think they have no idea what is/has been wrong with it. It just was always hard to start...they would replace blade, clean carburetor, plugs, etc. and it would work O.K. but.. I live in Atlanta & the last few times have taken it to a very reputable repair shop, my latest problem was the starter rope broke, I'm sure from pulling it so hard after it not starting after 5-6 pulls! They replaced the starter rope, cleaned motor, replaced plug, fresh fuel, etc. Well it worked for awhile, (I use it maybe every 10 days-2 weeks) then after a few uses-- again started becoming harder & harder to start, then after starting, I noticed that whatever the pull rope attaches to, would stop moving? However it didn't stall once started so I went ahead & mowed. A few days ago I tried to start it & now it won't start at all & I'm very frustarted. I also notice some brown gunk all over the motor area also? I always try to clean the blade and around the discharge door, under flaps, next to wheels, etc. after every mow so kind of surprised to see this.
I probably need to get a new mower, however limited funds now, would like to mow! Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-16-04, 02:07 AM   #2  
Hello Jerry!

Is this brown gunk under the carburetor area? Sounds like you may have a flooding carb. Does the oil smell like gas?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

10-16-04, 07:30 PM   #3  
propliner1
These engines need a lot of cleaning to run properly. The type if work they do and the poor carburetion leads to much carbon fouling and fuel blockages. Removing the cylinder head for a good cleaning around the combustion chamber can solve a lot of problems. Also, carberetors require cleaning on a regular basis. Don't be afraid to mess with the mixture and idle screws too. If that doesn't work, then 1 and 1\2 turns out on these screws are the normal factory setting. A good spark plug is a must. The coils fail on these engines too. With an ohmeter, check for at least 2600 ohm across the plug lead and the layered metal base of the coil itself. Make sure the kill wire is not grounded (if it has one). Check for a .010 gap between the coil and flywheel. Always make sure the woodruff key on the flywheel has not been sheared. Spray carb cleaner into the starter recoil to smoothen up the action, then some WD40 to lube it. Disassembly is not always required on these. This type of troubleshooting and simple maintenance should keep your engine running for years.

Good luck,

Brend.

CANADA

10-18-04, 04:00 PM   #4  
jerry32
Two quick questions for you....what make of motor is it, they came with either briggs or tecumseh?
Before you use it, have you ever put about a teaspoon of gas directly into the sparkplug hole and then tried to start it and if so, did it fire right away and keep running?
Reason for the second question is that I've come across many Tecumseh engines that even right from factory, they messed up with the valve clearances and some didn't even have any clearance. If you don't have the proper clearance for your valves then you may not create the proper vacuum to draw the fuel into the combustion area thus causing hard or not starting.
Normally on a Tecumseh small HP engine the valve clearance should be between .004-.008 (cold)

snoman

AL

10-29-04, 07:08 AM   #5  
Thanks to all for your replies!

I decided to take back in to the shop as a) I could barely get the screws out and b) my wife has this look on her face that means: when you going to cut the *&$#@ grass!

I took it back to the repair shop & they fixed it..total $34.36. The ticket says: checked ignition & compression; cleaned carb. jets; replaced air filter & plug. That diagnosis sounds better at least than the last few times, but I just got it home yesterday & it was raining so couldn't cut.

Just a few more questions: I really need to cut grass, it rained yesterday (I'm in Atlanta) forecast today foggy but not much sun, looks better tomorrow & next day. Do I need to wait a day to cut grass or can I cut today if still damp? And what (& when) do I need to do to store mower: i.e. drain gas, disconnect spark plug, etc?

Thanks again for all your responses, you provide a great service to many and it is much appreciated!

10-29-04, 10:16 AM   #6  
Good deal... At least you know what the problems were, and now you can get some work done.

You can cut the grass if it is damp but not soaking wet though. However, if you plan to collect your clippings as you mow, you cannot do that if the grass is damp.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-30-04, 01:00 AM   #7  
The higher the grass, the drier it should be before cutting it to avoid clogging of the chute. There is a sticky note at the beginning of the list of threads in this forum that tells what to do to prepare for winter storage.

God bless!

AL

10-31-04, 03:52 PM   #8  
Works great!

Thanks again for all your replies, mower runs great, wife happy?!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-02-04, 12:12 AM   #9  
When the wife's happy, everyone's happy!! Glad you got it fixed!

God bless!

Search this Thread