Riding Mower Slow Gas Leak

Old 10-20-04, 04:43 PM
achan
Visiting Guest
Riding Mower Slow Gas Leak

Hello,

I have a 2000 Craftman Riding Mower, 16.5 HP with 42'', model number 917.271141. The problem is, there is a slow gas leak coming from the fuel system not gas tank. It takes about 1 day sitting still before the gas start to leak. I need help with determing what needs to be replaced. The entire fuel system part being sold by Sears cost about $94. I rather not spend that much if there is a better way to fix it. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-04, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
I would start at the puddle on the floor and start going UP. The fuel may be leaking all the time, but it may take a long time for it to seep & drip down to the ground.

You can also start at the carb. and follow the fuel line all the way back to the tank. If you don't see fuel flowing, dripping or making a wet spot look for an area where dust & dirt are collecting (dust will stick to the fuel and accumulate). Most likely the leak will be at a fitting or connection at the end of a piece of the fuel line. It's possible the fuel lines themselves have become brittle and cracked.

Old 10-20-04, 06:55 PM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Replace your fuel line and filter, should be less than 5 bucks at Napa. Probably needs it regardless and if not, the problem wi likely in the carb so good to have new line before doing carb work.

Old 10-21-04, 12:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Agreed, probably in the carburetor, but new fuel lines will eliminate them as tye culprit. Probably needs a new float needle.