Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Homebrew muffler for Honda GX160

Visiting Guest

10-24-04, 03:39 PM   #1  
tesseract
Homebrew muffler for Honda GX160

Those of you with the popular Honda GX160 5.5hp engine might be interested in this muffler I made - especially since the OEM muffler (part number 18310-ZF1-000) costs $56! My replacement cost $4 and 30 minutes of my time, so I figure it was worth the effort! I used the existing muffler's header pipe/exhaust port flange by cutting it off right at the muffler body with a chop saw. I also cut off the threaded portion of a generic "5-7hp" replacement muffler from Home Depot ($4) with the chop saw then drilled out the pipe with a Unibit in a drill press so that the header pipe would press-fit into it. I ran a bead around the pipe with a stick welder and voilla: a muffler that does the job on my Emglo compressor with no horsepower loss (tested by measuring the RPM under load before and after) and a quieter, deeper sound. Oh, and did I mention it cost $52 less than the OEM part???

Here's the picture of it:

http://www.tesseractcorp.com/jeffreyj/muffler.jpg

Sponsored Links

10-24-04, 03:56 PM   #2  
Awsome work on that! And I can bet you have gained at least a whole one more horse power doing that too. Good work...

Visiting Guest

10-25-04, 05:11 AM   #3  
tesseract
Thanks for the kind words, Terminator20!

A new muffler for a 16HP Vanguard engine cost $68 - and I wasn't too pleased about that, either - but at least that was for a twin cylinder. There was no way I was going to pay $56 for that rinky-dink Honda muffler!

I'd like to know how the power curve has changed on the engine, but the only good way I can think of to test that would be to drive an alternator with it and apply more and more load to it until the RPMs bog down... Basically, a small engine dynanometer. I may just whip something like that together one of these days with all of the spare v-belts and pulleys I've got laying around here

Search this Thread