Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

New Poulan won't start after warmed up

10-24-04, 04:36 PM   #1  
New Poulan won't start after warmed up

I bought an 18" 42cc poulan from Lowes yesterday, and it will run fine, and start fine, but if I kill it, and let it sit for say 5 mins, I can't get it to start for the life of me, it won't even attempt to start. If I let the engine cool completely down, it will start right up again. I am taking this back and tempted to get a different brand. I don't want to go over $180. I am only using it for clearing a few trees, and the occasional firewood day. Are the troy-bilts any good? I'm open to suggestions, but not expensive ones, lol.

Oz

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-24-04, 11:14 PM   #2  
In my opinion, there isn't a low-end saw brand worth reccomending over another. They are all pretty much the same in quality and reliability, and most are poulans with different names and colors and features on them.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

10-25-04, 05:03 AM   #3  
tesseract
I bought a Poulan "Wild Thing" (18" 40cc) for $160 from Home Depot for a similarly low-usage level and I've noticed that it doesn't like to restart when "warm" unless the choke is pulled out to the halfway position, even if it was shut off for only a minute. If you are pulling the choke out to the halfway position and it still doesn't want to restart, then I'd definitely take it back and get another one. I strongly suspect that one of the main reasons the big boxes have cheaper prices is because they allow suppliers to skimp on quality control. About 20% of the things I've bought from Home Depot and Lowes were missing parts or didn't work. Believe me, if I had to pay a little more to save a trip to the returns line later on I would! Good luck!

10-25-04, 04:47 PM   #4  
I have decided to go ahead and spend up to 300, so my options are greater now. Should I get the 18" Husqvarna model 350? Also, where is a good place to get a good saw besides Lowes? I went to a local dealer, and they had a 16" 40-45cc (I can't remember) Stihl for like 299, but I don't think that's a good deal, I may be wrong. Anyway, All input is appreciated.

Oz

Visiting Guest

10-25-04, 10:04 PM   #5  
sceptre
i bought a husqvarna 55 rancher from a local dealer for $319, and it was a very good saw. our lowes also sells them but i do'nt think they check them out like a dealer. stihl would probably be the best one to buy because they
have more dealerships when you need parts.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-26-04, 02:03 AM   #6  
Now yer talkin', lol .

Stihl is my pick of the bunch, and Husquvarna is right on top too. I own both, and am extremely satisfied with both. Some lower priced Husquvarnas are made by poulan, so be careful. They are both owned by the same conglomerate (electrolux), along with Jonsereds, which is also a good one. Echo makes a good one too. The price you quoted on the stihl is acceptable, and will be a savings compared to how many low end saws you would have to buy to get the same amount of service. My stihl 009 is about 19 years old, and I can go out right now and start it on the first pull.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

10-26-04, 03:40 PM   #7  
Thanks for the replies. You said that some Husquvarnas are made by poulan, is there a way to find which ones? Also, what is another place besides lowes that has Husquvarnas? Thanks again, yall are a big help.

Oz

Visiting Guest

10-26-04, 03:55 PM   #8  
Azis
http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/
I sure love my lil husky but you might wanna look at your dealers to see which make ya pick. Not that you should need parts but in the event or just help and service.

10-26-04, 04:17 PM   #9  
I just checked for the closest husqvarna service place, and it is only 8 miles away, and it's a certified service place according to the website. So I'll probably go with the model 350. What is the difference between the 350 and the 55 rancher? Thanks again.

Oz

Visiting Guest

10-26-04, 10:39 PM   #10  
sceptre
i looked at the husky website, and the 350 looks pretty good. the 55 i owned
when you would use it you think by the sound of the saw it's going fast enough, then you squeeze the trigger and you realize the trottle is only half depressed.

Search this Thread